Is it illegal to own a GFP Axolotl in england?

tamurachama

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so i want to get my first Axolotl <3 i think they are so sweet looking and have put alot of effort into reserching about then when i came across a GFP (Green flourecent protin) Axolotl, i cant help but wonder if it is legal to own one in england or not? if not that really sucks as these guys look absolutely wicked!

Also any tips on owning an Axolotl?

never mind i found out, still they look cool.

What was the answer? Are they legal or not? And what sources did you use?

I know currently it's illegal to have them in Australia, but I haven't heard anything about the UK.

It is illegal in the EU for any form of animal to be genetically modified. I don't think they are illegal to import and keep, I haven't found any info on that but for them to be altered within the EU it is definitely illegal :) Shame, I was going to donate some axie eggs to our uni genetics dept and ask them to do some splicing ;)

I think the answer must be in here somewhere:

EFSA Topic: Genetically modified animals
"Within the European Union, the application of GM technology is strictly regulated for domestic and imported goods. The EU has established a legal framework regulating GM food and feed as well as the release of GMOs into the environment in order to ensure a high level of protection of human and animal health, the environment and consumer interests. EFSA’s role is to independently assess and provide scientific advice to risk managers on any possible risks of GMOs for human and animal health and the environment. In Europe, it is the role of risk managers such as the European Commission and the Member States to decide whether a GMO or a derived product can be placed on the EU market. "

And:

Genetically Modified Organisms (Deliberate Release) Regulations 2002
PART III: MARKETING ORGANISMS

J & M,
I suspect that as the axolotls are NOT USED in the human food chain in Europe, that the FOOD regulations referred to in the post do not apply. I wonder why anyone worries about this in the first place. Are we so het up by the GM debate? that it even weaves its way into pet forums. I suggest if you can by GM canola margarine in your local supermarket, you should also be able to buy a GFP axolotl.

I See you, your GMO Regs. 2002 and Raise you, with:
WTO | GATT and the Goods Council - gateway :happy:

The GATT treaty was first signed off in 1947 under the auspices of the United Nations. It predates the E.U. and; the CITES Convention of 1975. It binds the signatories. GATT is not only intended to ensure free trade between signatory nations, but also within signatory nations. The restrictions on trade in axolotls in California, or more specifically, betwixt Californians and other citizens in USA most probably arouses GATT. Refer to your local office of the WTO. I guess, if USA members can chat to Fish and Game rangers on matters of biology, then why not the WTO staff on matters of Free Trade. They, the WTO, kind of carry a big stick in this respect.

Trade guarantees may help to explain (though I do not know) why folks can't keep axolotls in California, but Californian traders can trade in axolotls. Paradoxical, methinks.

Dont think you can ship GFP from US to EU.

Trade guarantees may help to explain (though I do not know) why folks can't keep axolotls in California, but Californian traders can trade in axolotls. Paradoxical, methinks.[/QUOTE]

It is not legal to keep or sell axolotls in California. The only way a California trader could legally sell axolotls is if the trader were brokering them. If they are sold by someone in Ca. but the animals are actually in another state where they are legal to have it would be o.k. My guess is the people in Ca. who are selling axolotls are simply ignoring the regulations.

Michael, yes I understand about the legal issue in California.
My point was that there may be a "Higher Power" in play here. Given that the USA is big on Free Trade, then may be federal statutes that over-ride the nonsense in California. I'm no expert on US law, but I do understand GATT and its intentions and its ramifications. In this respect, I believe the Cal. laws fly in the face of GATT.

Trade restrictions like this impede your hobby and captive breeding for conservation purposes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back