Hyperventilating at Petco

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
so Molch is in the big City of Anchorage and went into a Petco and there was another 1$/ga sale (run! Still on till July 23) and when she saw a HUGE! pile-up of 40 ga breeder tanks she went into a state of blissful hysteria and had to sit in a corner and breathe into a paper bag* :eek:

15 minutes later, Molch was observed trying to stuff a 40 ga and a 20 ga long into a teeny tiny rental car. Now she is in the hotel room with tanks on either side of her bed and no real clue how to transport them home to Nome. :nono:

Tomorrow, must buy packing materials and drop them off at the bush freight airline. Molch wonders if all she'll get is a boxfull of glass shards....:kill:

* which is a slight exaggeration of the actual events, but you get the idea.

Expecting some new newts soon? :D

yes, but :D the 40 ga will be for my alpine newts and a few of their offspring; my gift to them for a successful breeding season. I want to do it up in the Walstad fashion, since I've had good success with that method in a couple fish tanks. I envision a huge pond-like densely grown jungle with fat happy newts and their babies.

HAHA ! I need to manage better my babies, a 50 Gallon for my A. maculatum is a waste of space, she lives 100% of her time in her cave and never ever ventures out... just puts her head out at night and waits...
My marm. has a 10 gallon, seems good for now, my kaiseri has is own 10 G and my P. chinensis has his own 20 G long tank.... I still have a 30G high and a 50G in stock, need some idea..... I like your new ideas and the Walstad thing, I did some reading about it....
I am about to start a new set-up in that 50G, just don't know yet what to put in it... I have so many plants it's nuts. Maybe a very very very shallow water set up full of aquatic plants and flat rocks with a land area for a future vulgaris gang!

every week, I get a small bush of clippings from my fish walstad tank. They are mostly Rotala rotundifolia and also Vallisneria and Sagittaria, I also have tons of hornwort and Elodea. I'll have tons of plants to put in the 40 ga. It will take some time to cycle though....also, I will have to build a new stand for it, and my dog's bed will have to move over to make room for it.

Then again, my dog sleeps in MY bed, so maybe we can put her doggie bed away anyways...

Ha that dog is precious!!!! ;-)
I bet when you are at work... he looks around at those newts and wonders about you lmao!!!

every week, I get a small bush of clippings from my fish walstad tank. They are mostly Rotala rotundifolia and also Vallisneria and Sagittaria, I also have tons of hornwort and Elodea. I'll have tons of plants to put in the 40 ga. It will take some time to cycle though....also, I will have to build a new stand for it, and my dog's bed will have to move over to make room for it.

Then again, my dog sleeps in MY bed, so maybe we can put her doggie bed away anyways...

and BTW you live in Alaska : You work = you make $$$ = you buy dog food = dog happy and releasing heat = when he sleeps on your bed he warms the bed and keeps you warm = transfer / conservation of energy. Perfect!
My dog sleeps on my bed too, I am in TX, different conclusions here....:rolleyes:

and BTW you live in Alaska : You work = you make $$$ = you buy dog food = dog happy and releasing heat = when he sleeps on your bed he warms the bed and keeps you warm = transfer / conservation of energy. Perfect!

har har! I never thought of it quite that way, but true. perfect bed warmer she is.

1 dollar......a gallon....if such a thing happened here i know of some people who would instantly collapse. I, myself, would just burst into flames. Maybe that´s a bit too much, but i wouldn´t rule out the possibility of me crying like a baby and french kissing the owner of the shop, the clerks or whoever hadn´t had time to scape.

Rodrigo, they usually do it once or twice a year. Another good reason to come to the US!

Uh oh... Where is Oma Molch gonna sleep now?!

Uh oh... Where is Oma Molch gonna sleep now?!

Oma Molch will fly back to her little garden pond in Germany tomorrow. She says she sees newts in a different light now and is excited to check her pond for smooth newts, which have been known to breed in there.

She sanctioned the new tanks with a couple of raised eyebrows and a resigned shake of the head ("don't you have enough tanks already?" - to which the answer is that accumulating tanks is like a mathematical function which approaches infinity - you can get more and more forever, but you will never have "enough")

Molch Jr just spent 2 hours bubble-wrapping the Dickens out of the tanks and will now drop them off at the airline

I regularly peruse the local charity shops for bargains. A few weeks ago they had a 2ft clearseal tank and lid for £5...how could I possibly walk away from that ? I had a push chair laden with the weekend shopping,plus a small wriggling Ned on the loose. I managed to find a way to bring it triumphantly home. The shopping was more or less emptied into an up turned tank, the straps re-adjusted and the tank secured. I got it home and its now got pride of place in the kitchen with some juvenile newts inside. Hubby now accepts that fish tanks will randomly appear around the home. I think he even realises that when the juveniles eventually move into their big newt home, this tank will just have to house something else....Who needs kitchen worktops?

Hey, while you're there pick up some silicone glue or clear silicone caulk in case they develop a leak d/t handling during transit,,,then you can fix it right up!

to which the answer is that accumulating tanks is like a mathematical function which approaches infinity - you can get more and more forever, but you will never have "enough"

LOL, aye, the ideal number of tanks is n+1

Since the topic is tanks at PETCO, has anyone seen those CHI Plexyglass tanks they sell there, way cool, kinda pricey but I am thinking of buying one! My T. marm would look like a king in it....
What say you?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back