Axolotl tank mates.

dcoop0361

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read that there are no good tank mates for axolotls is this 100% tru. cuz i would like to put another creature in with it.

Well, most creatures would get eaten eventually. Some people put in guppies and goldfish, but normally because they are a treat food and will be eaten sooner or later. Some also have shrimp, which live in there until they eventually get eaten...

But other critters might nibble on the axi's gills and tail.. so most people just avoid it...

If you have the room, the best tank mate for an axolotl, is another (same sex) axolotl. There is very little that can share space with them, my three currently have a few cloud minnow that where evicted for over breeding in a newt tank.....the fish are still re-producing :errr: These I expect will be eventually eaten by the axolotl, though I am a little perturbed they are still there.
Axolotl are generally very good at eating things, so any other species will be consumed. Some species of fish will be potentially harmful to an axolotl. Have a little look at the horror stories linked below.
Caudata Culture Articles - Species Mixing Disasters

thnx i already no that other fish would nibble on there gills causing them to die lol but thnx for the info ..i might put some shrimp for a snack in there:D

thnx i already no that other fish would nibble on there gills causing them to die lol but thnx for the info ..i might put some shrimp for a snack in there:D

Just make sure to quarantine them first. Very good idea though!

ok thnx for your input:happy::happy:

I love shrimp - I put cherry reds and ghosts in there, and in my experience there are ALWAYS a few that remain (even in my lobster tank a pair of cherries has managed to outlive several groups of both shrimp species)! So, these fun and helpful little guys may be a great tank mate choice if you enjoy them as I do!

About the white cloud minnows... I'm considering putting a small group into my 55.... not entirely sure yet though as I do not want them overrunning the tank with breeding!

i have a few things in my tank. i have a huge apple snail that wouldnt fit in a humans mouth, let alone an axolotl mouth. i have a white cloud minnow (i had 8, but 7 got eaten) and i have two large bullfrog tadpoles that eat algae. also a small fresh water clam.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back