Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I have a beginners question - could someone please answer?

elninca

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've only been a member of this forum for three days, but already I've noticed that almost everyone's axolotls are really friendly and like coming to the surface of the tank to feed and say hello.
I know I've only had Inca for three days, but I was hoping she might be more interested in seeing what I'm doing outside of the tank - considering she's settled in really well?
Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick to getting your axolotl to be really friendly?
I know this is likely to be a really dumb question but I would really like some answers...
Cheers,
El

Zalth

Reaction score
No worries, maybe she's just a shy axolotl. Some of them are more bold than others.
One of my axies are really curious about what's happening around the tank, and my other one is mostly hiding, but she has her moments of curiosity too!
Just give her some time, and she'll come out when she feels like it. :)

elninca

Reaction score
Thankyou Itzak! I was really worried that she was sick or something... :eek:

How long have you had your axies?

elninca

Reaction score
This is Inca :) She is admiring herself in the reflection haha :D

Attachments

• 192411.jpg
    192411.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 120

iChris

Reaction score
some axies are like that. you'll probably find that s/he will quickly start to associate you with food, and come to the top or watch you when you're nearby.

I have a golden axie who does this, she will just stare at me and when I get up to go to the tank, she follow me up and down the glass.

she loves me enough to attack my hand whenever I put it in the tank.

could we see some more pics of your axie tank if possible?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1