Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

No Injuries, But Definately Freaky!

memojo1979

Reaction score
My camera isn't very good for this sort of thing, but during last night's feeding, Canaq's worm tried to make a break for it...

Attachments

• DSCF3181.jpg
    DSCF3181.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 649
  • DSCF3176.jpg
    DSCF3176.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:

memojo1979

Reaction score
And, if you're not sure what you're seeing, it's trying to wriggle back out of Canaq's right-side gill :eek:
She tried swallowing several times, then finally managed to spit it back out, after about 5 minutes. I think it put her off a bit though, as she's the resident glutton in my house + she didn't want anything else to eat after that ;)

Last edited:

zoezakella

Reaction score
Hahaha, that is kinda gross! Axolotls are so weird.
he got a shock
Kinda gross ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh urrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh so glad I was not eating my tea when I looked at this thread lol! Poor axie bet he got a shock :happy:

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Oooooooooh I've heard of this happening before but never seen a pic... bet it gave her quite the shock

memojo1979

Reaction score
I was going to just leave her to it, but after 5mins of obviously trying to sort it out + having no luck whatsoever, I went to hold the end of the worm with tweezers for her, but gave her such a fright before I got anywhere near her, she tore off for a couple of laps (well, actually, just 1/2 a lap, coz she's VERY lazy!) of the tank + it fell out anyway / got spit back out. It did put her off - only for that night though ;)

Star

Reaction score
Glad it only happened to mine with blood worms, that was freaky enough! Rather amusing though because as she was snapping them down, they were coming out of her slits so she was snapping them down again, rinse and repeat :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1