Getting ready for babies!

aeviette

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm super excited because my new baby is arriving on Tuesday! A lovely person from Manchester is sending me the most colourful wildtype they have :) I've had the tank cycling and looking empty for what seems like an age. I wanted to share my AAAAH EXCITED and also ask a couple of questions please!

1- the babies are about 5 months old, and eating bloodworm. Should I just continue with the bloodworm, and do I need to feed them every day still?

2- how big will they probably be, and is sand ok while they're little?

3- what bits and bobs should I have? I've got filter, thermometer, a couple of tank ornaments, light which probably won't be used, water test kit... feeling very awkward about buying a turkey baster! :blush: especially as the not-quite-girlfriend-yet is coming round to help settle in the lotl! Hides, pre-emptive big tupperware box, anything else I'll need?

Thanks! I'll post photos the MOMENT my new baby arrives!

When I got Swarley last year, she was 4 months old and about three inches long (between 7 and 8 cm). She was one of the smallest of her siblings too. You should be alright to have a five month old on sand based on my experience. I have my two inch (5 cm) babies on sand currently, and they are doing well on it. You can continue with bloodworm, but you should also attempt to include some live earthworms primarily. When she was about five months, Swarley was able to eat whole worms. I read to feed everyday until they stop growing and start getting fat instead, which should be at about a year old. Be sure to get a water dechlorinator solution. In my area, water has chlorine and chloramine. Chloramine will not evaporate out. Be sure that you know what your water has, because both chemicals can be very dangerous to axolotls. Be sure when they get there to get them accustomed to the water temperature in some way. Mine arrived in bags, so I did the same that you should for a fish: let the bag sit in the water for six or more hours until the water is at the same temperature. Don't dump the water from the bag into your tank.

Good luck! I can't wait to see pictures!

Thanks! Good stuff to know. I forgot to put magic make water safe stuff on the list, though I'm nearly out. Didn't realise they'd be so little! Might start a little worm farm. My flatmates will love me even more than they already do...

Hi,
congratulations on the new family member!! Hope all goes well with the new arrival, just wanted to say about the sand. My babies hatched in a tank with sand and thats where they stayed, they are still on sand now as i have found that it is the safest and easiest to keep clean.Its also better for planting and arranging your decor. LOL
good luck with it all.

Great, thanks :) sand it is. Very excited! I've been waiting for this for aaaages.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back