Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Sudden "death float"

chemgrl08

Reaction score
Oh no! I went to check on my axies today, and it seems one of them is suddenly floating in a very BAD looking way! :eek: It is floating but in a sideways manner; if it really struggles, it can right itself. My boyfriend says it looks bloated, but I disagree. (Picture below;he has righted himself at this point, but is still floating.)
This axie is approx 3 in long, about 6 months old (I think), and all 5 of the ones I have are treated the same way. I am trying to set up a perfect habitat for them, and its not ready yet, so I've been keeping them in a refrigerator where only they are housed (food has never been in it and the fridge it was cleaned up before I put them in it- not with harmful chemicals either.) Plus, they've been in that fridge absolutely thriving for the past few months. Temperature is monitored with a thermoprobe, and I plug in/unplug the fridge as necessary, but try to keep it around 55-60*F.
They are housed in tupperware containers (with a loose-fitting lid as a result of some suicide attempts) and get daily water changes. After the water change, they are fed and have 15 minutes to eat what they want, then the excess food is removed. Usually, this axie has a hardy appetite (snaps at the salmon pellets as they go in), but I've noticed recently its appetite has been lagging. I chalked it up to normal changes in appetite (I had a lizard that would fast for weeks and scare the **** out of me, but turns out it was normal. I know that its not the same species, but I had the "oh well, lizard, salamander, probably similar" thought in my mind).
The axie in question was actually the fastest grower; I was positively shocked that of the 5, this one was having problems! NONE of the others have shown any problems whatsoever- not in appetite, floating, nothing. :confused: Any thoughts are appreciated!!! This change was literally overnight!

Attachments

• P7090035.jpg
    P7090035.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 759

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong from the picture. It's not dangerously thin. Floating sometimes stems from needing to poo, and goes away once the animal has relieved itself.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That might happen more as they get older too, as an artifact of the temp you keep them at. Because it's on the cooler end of their range, they don't digest as fast and gas can build up, especially with big meals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!