Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank size for four adults

pookiewn

Reaction score
I have four little 4 inch axies at the moment in a 4x1 foot tank, so no mega rush to get a bigger one, they do seem to be growing fast! If I were to get a 4x2 would this be big enough for them to have enough room when they are adults? Or should I go for a 5x2 instead? I hate the idea of them being cramped in or having just enough room to survive, but not sure that I would be able to go much more than 5 foot without the other half getting more than a little upset, he doesn't see the cuteness yet :eek:

Your thoughts please :happy:

iChris

Reaction score
The best advice you can be given in regards to tank size is get the biggest tank that your budget and space requirements allow.

You'll be glad you did as a bigger volume of water is easier to keep stable and you'll probably want more axies too!

But as a general rule, you'll need about 10 gallons of tank water per adult axie. Floor space is preferable as axies live on the bottom and don't move up and down as a helicopter would.

pookiewn

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.
Hmm, well if we are talking about the size of tank the house can fit then I would happily get a ten foot and fill it with just a few more, lol! However I do live with my partner and that wouldn't go down to well :( Back to the real world....
I have chosen to make the hides out of big rocks, bits of wood and loads of plants and it doesn't seem to give much floor space for them to wonder about on. So I was thinking a tank with bigger floor space might give them more comfort long term. I've seen a nice 4x2 going cheap and my filter will be able to cope with the volume of water, slightly more ideal as the stand is quite low to the ground. I guess if the tank I have already is a good size, then doubling it would be great :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1