Bloodworm alternatives for smaller(3 inches) axolotls.

atomicferret

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I got my little guys last wednesday and they seem to be happy and great, ph levels good and temperature etc.

I have been feeding them frozen bloodworm cubes which they apparently love. Only problem is they make a huge mess in the tank. I've tried just putting a cube on this cup like shell in my tank but its hard to see if they all get enough to eat that way unless I am hand feeding which is where the mess begins. Plus they seem to like it that way better anyway and eat more when hand feeding than from the ones laying on the bottom.

So what are some good alternatives/brands that I could buy online or at a pet shop? Its been dry here so worms are pretty scarce outside atm.

Reptomin sticks? Shrimp pellets? Anything non messy.

Something easy to feed with by hand would be preferred so I can make sure they all get equal amounts of food till they are full.

Thanks in advance!

How about earth worms? They're good nutritionally, and you can chop them up into bite-size pieces.

I will probably do earth worms tomorrow as it finally rained here so I'll be out to hunt some nightcrawlers down tonight.

Was looking for some more less messy methods until they are bigger so I don't have to go chopping up worms haha.

Once they get bigger, they can eat whole worms. Much less messy that way.

you can feed them live food as bloodworms, blackworms or very small earthworms too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back