From bad to WORSE! urgent!!

harliquinnraver

Reaction score
Country
United States
Original thread is here: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...8-sick-axolotl/76112-soooo-many-problems.html

So, the oldest female is still fridged and not eating. The vet saw her and said that the leg wound has good granulation and should heal fine. I still cant get her to eat and now she spend most of her time upside down, laying on her back/side. Very lethargic.

The youngest female that I mentioned in that post passed away very suddenly a while ago.

The youngest male suddenly developed bloat last night and died today. He hadnt been eating either.

The next to oldest female developed small white nodules all over her body a month or so ago and I fridged her immediately. The vet took samples and advised me to continue salt baths as it seemed to be a fungus. It cleared up and she was left with 'holes' in her skin where the nodules had been. She was very thin and still not eating.
Recently, she has been floating a bit with her back arched.
When I have gone to change her water the last few nights, I have come across something horrific.

She seems to be expelling blood and organ tissue from her uh....rear end.
She is noticeably skinnier after each 'episode' of this. I've called the vet numerous times, left urgent messages for her and she will not call me back! no one else in the vet clinic knows about these guys and no other local vet will see them.

:( I dont know what to do! Their water tested fine, BTW, I suspect this may be some awful bacterial thing.

I have never in my life seen anything like this before!
I fear it may be best to euthanize her as she appears to be suffering and beyond help (I wish the vet would get in touch with me!)

Last edited:
some pictures would be great. it sounds like she is trying to pass something out of her body. this could be causing what you're seeing.

what substrate is your axie kept on and what do you feed it?

some pictures would be great. it sounds like she is trying to pass something out of her body. this could be causing what you're seeing.

what substrate is your axie kept on and what do you feed it?

There is zero chance of impaction. she has been fridged for a month. they are all kept on very very fine black tahitian moon sand. no rocks, no pebbles, no snails, nothing they can swallow, they all ate earthworms up until they stopped eating.

My apologies for the horribly graphic picture. The stuff in there with her appears to be blood and tissue, possibly from her organs breaking down?
I dont know whats going on. I have never seen anything like this before.

67582695.jpg

I've got to say that the red stuff looks very, very bright - is there any chance that your earthworms are contaminated in some way? I'm definately no expert, but that isn't what I'd expect any "insides" to look like :(
Sorry I can't help in any way further, but have my fingers crossed that she recovers ASAP!

I've got to say that the red stuff looks very, very bright - is there any chance that your earthworms are contaminated in some way? I'm definately no expert, but that isn't what I'd expect any "insides" to look like :(
Sorry I can't help in any way further, but have my fingers crossed that she recovers ASAP!

its really not as bright as it appears. the camera flash made it appear to be fairly neon. I tried taking the pic without flash but it came out too dark to see anything properly.
I doubt the worms were contaminated since I grow my own.

The girl I posted a pic of there passed away and now my last girl seems to be slowly developing bloat. I can see it somewhat in her belly but mostly on her throat/neck/chin/bottom jaw. :( Is there no chance of recovery? She's still fridged and besides developing bloat, shes also growing fungus. I'm really worried a salt bath will KILL her as she's lethargic and can't even keep herself upright!

If she's developing bloat, you should take her to the vest and see if they can drain the fluid and ascertain the reason behind the edema. If it's a bacterial infection, they can treat that.

If she's developing bloat, you should take her to the vest and see if they can drain the fluid and ascertain the reason behind the edema. If it's a bacterial infection, they can treat that.

My vet hasnt been returning my calls. I went in there this morning and was told that the doctor we had seen previously has moved and doesnt work there anymore. And according to them, they dont have anyone on staff who deals with these guys. :(

My last 'lotl died last night. She had started to bloat under her chin/neck area and I called around to other vets but found that none treated/saw salamanders or aquatics. I changed her water last night and found her completely bloated, floating and dead.

:(

I won't be keeping axies again.

im so sorry. You should have a break and then later on think about having axies again..no why I hear you say....because you are a very good axie owner. You did everything in your power to help your axies. Never say never is all im saying.

I'm so sorry to hear about your little guys. I just want to echo what Lea said, though- it wasn't your fault, you did everything you could. Don't count out the possibility of having them again someday. For now, just look after yourself.

Thanks you guys. Its been emotionally draining and heartbreaking. I'm so upset with my vet for leaving me hanging and with the clinic for not referring me to someone who could help.

I'm burned out on 'lotls for right now. Maybe someday I'll have them again. But not anytime soon. Thanks for your support.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back