Question: Options in Axolotl setup (Beginner)

Emubaz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!!

I'm new to Caudata and I joined because I want to get an Axolotyl (preferable two) as a pet. I've read up extensively on the web and have ordered the book 'Keeping Axolotyls' but some of the information I've gathered is a little conflicting...

1. Are big stones (bigger than gravel) best for the tank bed to save an Axolytl ingesting? Some say gravel is okay (I don't think so) some say sand (but this can be tricky).

2. I wanted to have two as I thought one might get lonely, however it depends on there age as they may fight and lose limbs, or if opposite sexes may breed (I don't want to breed them).

3. What size tank is best for two Axoloytls? And should I have a divider in the tank to separate them until they are old enough to be around each other?

4. Where is a good place to purchase healthy Axolotyls in London (South East) ideally I'd like one white or golden one and one wild type. (I'm not interested in glowing Axolotyls).

If anyone can give me some sound advice it would be most appreciated. I'm already ploughing through the Axoloytl forums, you guys sound like a lovely caring bunch of people!

Thank you! :happy:

Re: Options in Axolotyl setup (Beginner)

Hi and Welcome!

I will give you my little bit of advice I have learnt here, but there will be more experience members who will come and give you their wise wisdom! :happy:

If you are going to have pebbles or stones in your tank, they MUST be bigger than your axolotls head, as if they are smaller they can lead to impaction. However, I have noticed other members say that pebbles and rocks trap alot of debris in between them, which is tricky to clean. I personally use sand as it is easy to noticed any debris on the surface, and is easier to clean. You can also leave the bottom of the tank bare, as many members of this forum do. This probably the most easiest way to spot for old food and poop. I like to use sand to give my tank a nice feel to it. :happy:

I'm not sure how much advice I can offer on keeping two axolotls but I will give you some information that I know of. I have a 2 year old male axolotl at the moment, and I also have a baby wildtype in a different tank. I am waiting for the wildtype to grow up so I can see what sex it is. I have seen people with up to 4 or more axolotl's in one huge tank and I can only assume they have been with eachother from the beginning when they were tiny. I did ask on here how to introduce new axolotls together, and your right; you have to put a mesh divider in the tank, as this allows the two axolotls to smell eachother and see eachother so that they can get the hang of eachother. However, I would ask for more advice on this topic as I am not very experienced on it, as it is something I would like to do myself when my wildtype is grown up! :p

I heard you need 10 gallons of water per axolotl, so maybe a tank that holds up to 20 gallons or more? Also make sure you get a tank that has long floor space, as most axies like to dwell on the bottom of the floor! :happy:

As for the purchasing of your axies in London; I haven't a clue! Sorry I'm not from around London :(

I hope I helped! Some other members will be sure to give you some more experienced advice soon! :happy:

Oh also, many axolotls are kept on their own as is my 2 year old at the moment, and he is fine and doesn't seem lonely. I think they like being alone, but don't mind the company of others.

I have heard that the wildtype is meant to be more agressive, but I wouldn't know due to only having a tiny baby one at the moment! But sometimes they can fight and nip at eachother. However they usually nip at eachother because they mistake a limb for food, or as a simple warning of 'hey I'm trying to move here, get outta my way!'

Thank you Scooty for your advice, very helpful!
I love Axolotyls!!! Awww bet your baby wild type is very cute!
Maybe I should just start with one Axy for now and like you get another one later.
Can I ask what type of sand do you use?

:talker:

No problem, thats what we are all here for! :happy:

My sand is just some normal aquarium sand I got from my local fish shop. It cost me £3 and two bags covered my 5ft tank. I also got a bag of black sand, so thats why my sand is a mix of two colours :p Many people buy children's play sand as well, as you can get them in all funky colours. Whichever sand you get you must make sure you wash it thoroughly until the water is clear (or as a moderator Kaysie once said, 'until your arm feels like its going to fall off' :p)

I started off with one as I was so new to it, and made the mistake of not researching axolotl's at all before I got one! Now I know more about them, I felt confident enough to get a second :D

This is my adult axie Mr Bojangles:
121env4.jpg

This is my baby wildtype Solid Snake:
2krm09.jpg

Scooty: I love the name Solid Snake haha. You made me laugh a little too loudly for office environments.

Emubaz: Scooty has given you some great adivce! I also suggest getting some plastic plants. If you get real plants the lotls will pretty much destroy them, but the plastic ones are hardy, and my little ones love to sit on top of them while they watch my every move.
If you do want some real plants in there for oxygenation, the marimo moss balls are great. They can get pushed around as much as your axies please, and they'll sit on top of that too.

People say that you don't need more than 6 inches of water, which is true, but if you add more you'll find that it will be easier to keep your water cool, and that your axies will enjoy slowly swimming around the tank.

Haha! oops sorry! :p

Oh my! Yes plants, how could I forget them!! I have some silk plants in my aquarium which my axie likes to poke his head through. Hoping to get some real plants soon as some of them help maintain the N03 levels and ammonia!

Hacelepues has also given some good advice about the water levels. When I first started I thought that axies only needed to have a bit of water and that would be fine. Boy was I wrong! My axie is so much easier to keep cooler and cleaner now I have filled his 5ft tank up! And he loves it, even if he doesn't swim because he is sooooo lazy!

Ahhh another thing about water; I never use to treat my water til I came onto this site! I was advised to use a dechlorinater. I was a little nervous at first but well, my axie's never been happier! So make sure you get some dechlorinator to treat your tap water with :happy:

Ooooh also, make sure you cycle your tank before you put your axolotl in it. This can take a while, so it's best to get started ASAP. Don't forget to check out http://www.axolotl.org if you haven't already!

Last edited:
Thank you Scooty, your Axies are so adorable (I love seeing pictures of Axolotls, they are so cute)! Solid Snake is such a cool name made me giggle too! :supercool: Mr. Bojangles - Awww!!!!

Awesome info Hacelepues and Scooty (thank you both).:frog: I'll definiately get some plants (plastic and real) for my Axies. I've found a good aquarium with experience in Axies so I'm gonna go there Saturday and collect my new babies (sooo excited). They have grown up together and seem to get along fine and share a tank together (will post pictures asap).

Good to know about the the tank and water levels (mega useful) I read that you can leave the tap water standing for 48hrs to get rid of the chlorine, but the dechlorinator might be a better option in the long run to save buckets of water standing for long periods of time. Plus I'll get a filter that can run on a low setting so not to stress the axies. As for the sand I think I'll try some and add some rocks too (bigger than the Axolotl's heads). Hopefully I can get some drift wood too for hides.

Wow so much to do! Had a good nose on the Axolotl site, some sound advice too! :rofl:

Also, for the filter, here are some tips.

I got a filter where you could adjust the flow, but even at the lowest setting the flow was still too strong! I had some minnows in there for a bit before my axies to help cycle the tank, and they would play in the flow and use it to zoom around the tank. Sand was also being displaced because of it.

That wouldn't do, so I used the plastic bottle trick: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...views/63332-decreased-water-current-idea.html

I was still worried that the flow was too strong, so I bought filter sponges (to make sure they were aquarium safe), and put them inside the bottle, and also stuck one on the surface of the water just below where the water comes out (I hold it in place with a Whisper magnet cleaner). Now there is almost no flow in my tank!

So if you think the flow may disturb your axies, those are some tricks you can use!

London, if you're near st albans, the aquatic's centre called Burstons have them, it's where i got my two, they have leucistic's and wildies, like mine :p

You can also use Crazy sand, which you can order from here:
Welcome to Crazy Sand
roughly 2 bags covers a 2 footer!

Thank you Hacelepues and ZoeT94,

I've heard about the sponge filter/ bottle combo, will test it out if I can't get an initial gentle flow set up. I want to see what the aquarium/ shop have set up for the axies there too? It's a wicked tip as I've read the water flow can really stress the poor little guys out! I've also read that a spray bar helps. I'm looking at getting a tank around 20-25gallons, so 32" x 12" approx and depth around 12" too.

Ordered my Crazy Sand brochure too! I'm such a geek but I really want to give 2 little axies an awesome home! :p They are such fascinating creatures!

It sounds like you have been researching well and looks like your axies are going to have an awesome home! :happy:

No problem for the advice! We are always willing to lend a hand here! And thank you for your comments about my axies, I have to agree I love to see pics of axolotls so make sure you post up loads when you get them! :D

I'm happy to help!
Please please please show us pics when you get them???

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back