Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Diet variety?

waster

Reaction score
I'd like to offer my two axies some variety at this moment they live mainly off: frozen bloodworms hikari cichlid gold pellets (40%+ protein) ocassionally they get: red wrigglers -- they dont really get too excited for them, they spit them out once in a while but they do eventually finish them... must be the funny taste night crawlers - my LFS sells them a 30 cents each, so i get them ocassionally. im now starting a tank of minnows and red cherry shrimps that will be used as the odd treat is there anything else i can mix it up with? frozne mysis shrimp? nutrafin turtle pellets? any other items people have used with success that can be bought from the LFS? thanks

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Hey! Try regular night crawlers or earthworms, they are just as nutritious as pellets and they LOVE THEM. Red wrigglers and tiger worms both secrete gross stuff. My axies don’t really like them either. Also lean bits of meat occasionally as a treat because it is fattening and lacking in calcium. But they really enjoy it. Shrimp are a good occasional as well, they will swim around in the tank and the axies will have fun hunting them down.

Cruor

Reaction score
Is there some recommend values for Axies out there? I haven't seen any I typically feed my Joanna with frozen bloodworms (seems ok on the chart, not high in fat) mainly and then every now and then with frozen brine shrimp and very occasionally bits of prawn or shrimp. I saw some calcium supplement for sale today when I was out buying aquarium sand and plants for Joanna's tank and it got me wondering about her diet, and as to the efficacy of such as the calcium powder. Recommended values would be a lot easier to work with.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Is there some recommend values for Axies out there? I haven't seen any I typically feed my Joanna with frozen bloodworms (seems ok on the chart, not high in fat) mainly and then every now and then with frozen brine shrimp and very occasionally bits of prawn or shrimp. I saw some calcium supplement for sale today when I was out buying aquarium sand and plants for Joanna's tank and it got me wondering about her diet, and as to the efficacy of such as the calcium powder. Recommended values would be a lot easier to work with.

See my previous post. If you take the time to read, you will find that Caudata Culture has exactly what you are looking for in chart format...

Cruor

Reaction score
I've followed each link and seen the food chart of all the different food items, in fact it's led me to want to culture my own bucket of nightcrawlers, after trying them out to see if my axie likes them. What I didn't see, and what I meant was, is there some sort of required amount of protien fat etc. for axies, kindof like a humans RDA? Forgive me if I'm being stupid but I did not see that anywhere, I did see the chart of nutrition each foodstuff provides though.

ZoeT94

Reaction score
Mine just get worms, and there are a couple of shrimp in there at the moment, but they don't seem to be able to actually get them!!! lol.

I give them frozen fresh mussel sometimes...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!