Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A few questions

scooty16

Reaction score
Okay I have a few questions to ask... sorry! :p

I have had an offer of a golden albino baby which is 3 inches. I currently have a baby wildtype which is about 2 inches. My wildtype is in an 18inch tank currently, waiting for it to grow so it can join my adult axie in it's 5ft tank.

My questions are this:

-Is an 18inch tank big enough for two baby axolotls til they get a bit bigger to move into my big tank?
-Will a 3inch axolotl eat a 2inch axolotl?
- How well do axololt's get on when they are introduced? what is the success rate of axolotl's getting on with eachother?

I didn't want to say yes straight away without knowing if it would be cruel to keep them both in a tank that size til they grew.

Thank you :happy:

Last edited:

Bobert

Reaction score
I think it may be a little risky. From what I have read on here juvenile axolotls tend to be a little more aggressive and may nip at each other. 18 inches is only just big enough for 1 full grown Axolotl but you may be ok with 2 small ones if its a temporary thing and there are plenty of hides available.

In a big enough tank Axolotls can live together quite happily if they have somewhere to hide out. I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to advise you better.

scooty16

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice! I was thinking it may be a little risky, but I would really love a golden albino, as they are hard to get in my area.

It's annoying because I have a wonderful 5ft tank with one axolotl in it! :p Maybe I could invest in another adequate tank for the golden albino?

It's good to know they will get on happily enough if there is enough room and hides. I definitely have those issues sorted, maybe a few more plants too.

mewsie

Reaction score
You could get another little tank until the wee one grows up, and, when they are a bit bigger divide the big tank into a couple of sections?

scooty16

Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking but I dont know if I have room for another tank in my room hehe. Mum said I could put it in the kitchen or the living room, but I'd rather not, as it gets hot from the cooking in there, and theres always someone in both rooms, so there would be a constant light. :(

I do have a place in my room, but its very low to the floor, and well my cat would probably come in and eat the little fella up if she saw it. I'm going to go and have a think. Look at my room and see if I can rearrange it.

If my partner didn't have 9 cats I'd ask him to look after it for me til it was big enough... but them 9 cats are too risky! Especially since they already try and drink his fish's water!

*sigh* I would really love a little golden albino....:(

scooty16

Reaction score
My smaller tank isn't very big though, and there wouldn't be much room, they would only have 9inches of tank each if I did that :(

pookiewn

Reaction score
Could you not divide some of the 5ft tank off and put the three inch one in? Even with some of that divided off, your full grown one would have at least three foot to play in :)

scooty16

Reaction score
Hmmm I didn't think of that! This is true, he doesn't need a 5ft tank all to himself! Even though he does love it... ;) is it not a little cruel to take that space away from my biggun? or do axolotls not notice differences like that?

And how do I make a divider? Or can I buy them? :confused:

Sorry for all these questions

Last edited:

pookiewn

Reaction score
I'd imagine your axie would be fine with three foot to himself, perhaps make sure it's the side he spends most time on with his favourite hide (and some wriggly worms, lol!) :) If you google diy aquarium dividers there are loads of how to's on there. Most seem really cheap to make too, mind you the ones on ebay aren't too bad a price either. Depends how quick you need it :)

scooty16

Reaction score
Well guys, I sadly declined this golden albino :( I just don't have enough room or funds for it at this moment in time, next time though, next time! I didn't want to take it on without giving it the happy,comfy, roomy home it deserves.

Thanks for all your answers and help, very grateful :happy:

P.S I am guttteeeed! :( Haven't seen a golden albino in pet stores in my area!

memojo1979

Reaction score
Only just seen this thread, but I'll add another reason for you declining it, if it'll make you feel a bit better - it would need quarantene before adding it in with an axie you've already got, so if you couldn't find space to put another tank, it wouldn't have been a great idea. Take pride + solace from the fact that you care enough to do things right instead of on impulse (which can be so hard to resist, LoL!) ;)

scooty16

Reaction score
Ohh yeah I forgot to mention that! I said to my partner about needing the extra tank to quarantene!

And yes, it is soooo hard to resist! :p

scooty16

Reaction score
Oh also thank you for your kind words, I drowned my sorrows with a big Chicago Town pizza. :lol:

vampybabe

Reaction score
Only just seen this thread, but I'll add another reason for you declining it, if it'll make you feel a bit better - it would need quarantene before adding it in with an axie you've already got, so if you couldn't find space to put another tank, it wouldn't have been a great idea. Take pride + solace from the fact that you care enough to do things right instead of on impulse (which can be so hard to resist, LoL!) ;)

They wouldn't need quarantening! all of my axie babies have been kept in seperate containers since they were born with fresh dechlorinated water, changed daily and hand fed on freshly defrosted bloodworm(babies are 5 months old).
I understand if they were coming from a petshop if all were raised in a tank with others but mine haven't been.

scooty16

Reaction score
Sorry Vampybabe, didn't mean to offend you! :( I just thought thats what you had to do with all new additions :(

vampybabe

Reaction score
Sorry Vampybabe, didn't mean to offend you! :( I just thought thats what you had to do with all new additions :(

noooo noooo lol Scooty, you didnt :happy: It was just to let other people know that are reading the thread. most private breeders if doing it right would have babies in separate containers anyway.
The breeder I got my original 3 from did too.
so technically they have been in their own little quarantine for 5 months anyhow
It is always good to be on the side of caution but sometimes info on here can be slightly misleading if not given all the facts.x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1