Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Which one?

clintosaur

Reaction score
I have never kept a caudate in my life, so tell me which one is best?
Im looking at either axolotls, fire bellies (Japanese and Chinese), Paddle tail newts, or a tiger salamander. Its ok if your biased, Im just looking at the easiest to feed, active, and easiest to breed if I want. Its also ok if you suggest a different species. I hope this is the right place for this question.

yellowpebble

Reaction score
axolotls are loved by so many because they are the easist. Salamanders are not beginners pets, and are not easily bred... allthough the axolotl seems to be an exception. I have never owned anything else though, i'm just going off research

Bobert

Reaction score
I have to say Axolotls too, but to be honest I haven't ever owned any other type of salamander.

Axolotls are relatively easy to look after, the only tricky part for me is when it comes to cycling tanks, can be a bit of a pain and long winded but once its cycled the hardest part is over really.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Please stop posting this same thread over and over so I have to keep deleting it over and over. Once is plenty.

frogman

Reaction score
I would have to say tiger salamanders. They will tell you when they want food. They will come up to the glass and wait for you.

Attachments

• CIMG3917.jpg
    CIMG3917.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 140
  • CIMG3872.jpg
    CIMG3872.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 155
  • CIMG3874.jpg
    CIMG3874.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 170

clintosaur

Reaction score
Sorry Kaysie. Im still trying to get the hang of this site, and deciding what goes where, so I get good responses.

clintosaur

Reaction score
Well, after some research, I think paddle tail newts can be scratched out, due to the fact that they don't tolerate temperatures above 20 degrees Celsius (My tadpole tank is almost always at 23 degrees Celsius, but thats due to lighting. My froglets tank has no lighting and only 2 inches of water, compared to the 12 inches the tadpoles have, and stays at 20 degrees Celsius). It seems axolotls are the way to go, but I would still like to hear more about tiger salamanders, and definitly more about Cynops orientalis and Cynops pyrrhogaster :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!