Question: What to do with non fertalised axi eggs?

axolotl141

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
michael
I have just bought a new axi and it has alot of eggs on board but no male to fertalise them what should i do with them when she has them???

She won't lay eggs if there's no male to fertilize them.

then what will happen to them??

She'll reabsorb them.

one of mine laid eggs 2 days after i brought them home. i got 2 females (so the shop told me) i saved a few away from the axolotls to see if fertile. they werent. the axolotls ate most of them and the rest i just siphoned up when cleaning the tank.

Aye, Ambystoma mexicanum are notorious oophages. That is, they eat eggs. Fertilized or not, if you don't want them, leave them be. What the axies don't eat will be cleaned out when you do you weekly tank cleaning.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back