Is java moss a good idea for my axolotl tank?

UKaxolotl

Reaction score
Country
England
Hey everyone I am looking into some java moss but wass wondering if it was a good or bad choice hopefully you guys can help :)

Java moss is perfectly fine for axolotls.

This is my number one top choice for use with amphibians. Java mass and the related plants are perfect for axolotl tanks in my opinion.

ive never seen java moss? is it hard to find, or have i just never looked for it?

ive never seen java moss? is it hard to find, or have i just never looked for it?

Usually in some pet stores, I've seen it sold in small plastic tubs, but you can also order it online. :happy:

Get it! It also provides a fantastic place for tankmates (such as shrimp) to hide in, which gives them a chance to keep going beyond the first "I'm HUNGRY" whinge from the axies :) Not to mention is good for sucking up nitrate. Also, if you have babies in tubs, they like hiding in it, and for blackworms, they last a LOT longer than without.

Thank you everyone you've made me more confident about the whole situation now all I have to do is buy some :D

i was sold when i saw it improves water quality. now i have to find some.

I've had java moss in my terrerium for about a year now, I like it a lot. I have an albino axolotl and a tiger salamander. For some reason though I can't seem to grow it on rocks! but besides that, it will grow. I've read that it also collects small particles, which is beneficial to shrimp and baby fish. When my guppies have babies in my aquarium I'll put a couple babies in for my axolotl to have fun with after they get a little bigger. I actually recently bought some 'green blanket moss' from Taiwan (on Ebay) already attached to a smooth rock about half the size of my palm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back