Lights for a tank

Giles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I know that ideally Axolotl tanks should have no lighting as having no eye lids, this causes them discomfort, but i'm a little worried that the live plants i have put in the tank wont do too well as the tank is situated in the darker side of the room (only place i could fit it :p). As the tank is second hand, it has come with two 30w T8 92cm lights (one white and the other blue) which i have left firmly switched off of course though there no occupants in the tank just yet :D I also understand that you can sometimes switch the lights on for a couple of hours a day, just enough for the plants, but surely 2x 30w are far to bright, even for this? The lowest wattage i can find that still fits my light unit is 2x 25w but i cant see much difference there! Any advice would be appreciated :p

If its only for a few hours a day and they have somewhere to hide in the shade it should be ok. I dont have any lights in my tank and I have Java Moss balls and Java fern in my tank which do well in low light conditions.

You can have the lights on just make sure the axies have lots of dark hides like caves so they can hide or get in to the dark if they want to.

Sam:happy:

Yep they will have more then enough hides, my tank is 100cm x 41cm so managed to get 3 hides in (there going to be two of them, axolotls that is) with plenty of floor space for them still :)

I have the Marineland double-bright LED lights above my tank and my axolotls are perfectly happy with it. The lights are on for 8 hours per day. The tank is moderately planted with low-light plants and has PVC pipe caves and a big stump for hiding. As a bonus, between the lights and fertilizer in the form of axolotl poop, the plants grow nicely.

And, I've gotta tell everyone that Giles has rehomed 2 of the axies that I adopted from my friend + brought back up to decent health ;)

I use the same light fittings but only use one marine blue bulb 6-17:00 they are happy.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back