Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Collossal paddletail?

pinkspore

Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up a free craigslist newt because I am a sucker. Over email the kid told me he thought it was a C. orientalis. I had a C. pyrrhogaster several years ago that I dearly loved, and I was looking forward to having another squiggly little firebelly.

This is what he gave me:
p4qPK.jpg

It looks like a paddletail newt, the tail is the right shape and it looks like some of the Pachytriton labiatus pictures, but it is a full 9 inches long. Most of the posts I've read about P. labiatus say they are usually 6-7 inches long. Do they usually get this big? Do they occasionally get this big? Good grief, look at the size of this thing!

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
From what FrogEyes has said about Pachytriton, the smaller animals in the pet trade are actually P. granulosus. This large animal is probably what used to be called P, labiatus, but has now been renamed (Pach. labiatus is now Paramesotriton labiatus, replacing Para. ermizhaoi, as the original specimens were Paramesotriton, now Pachytriton - there is another thread on this). So this animal will be one of the newly described species (Pach. inexpectatus, Pach. moi or the other one beginning with 'f').

It's care will be the same as for any Pachytriton (cool, flowing water with rocky hides)

Looks like a lovely animal,

C

pinkspore

Reaction score
She really is a gorgeous animal, the kids love her because she is active and enormous. I had a tank all set up for a C. orientalis but after removing a few hides and raising the water level it looks like it will be sufficient.

Is there any chance I'll be able to figure out what species she is now with the reorganization of the Pachytriton genus?

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure the tank has some water flow and is well oxygenated (these are stream newts, rather than pond newts like the orientalis).

This thread http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-.../77169-two-new-pachytriton-species-china.html

deals with the recent changes to the species in the genus. The paper describes the species that 'labiatus' has become, but is quite technical. It also may not be possible while the animal is alive! Also, as it says in this paper, there is at least one undescribed species in the pet trade. I think the best you will be able to do is Pachytriton moi/P. feii group.

C

pinkspore

Reaction score
She's in a 10G with a Whisper 10i in tank filter that pours out about 2" above the water level. Do you think I should add an airstone or a powerhead for more water movement?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´d upgrade the animal to a larger tank, that´s a big Pachytriton. 20 gallons would be much better.
A larger space will also allow you to provide a variety of hiding places which are very important for these newts as they are territorial and like to hide and stalk.
A powerhead would be best since they like currents. An airstone would barely move the water, you need something stonger.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The genus Pachytriton used to be so simple, sigh.

Newts continue to grow for their whole lives, so old animals can reach surprising sizes.

pinkspore

Reaction score
Here are a few more shots of her newtliness being enormous.
PHddg.jpg

Qsk1h.jpg

MhDw8.jpg

wqhpM.jpg

Can't seem to find anyone in real life who knows enough about paddletails to marvel at her size. I'm hoping Open House night brings in some interested parents.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1