Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How to Lower PH Level in my Axolotl's tank, Does Milk Help ? ? ?

MrsGimmik

Reaction score
Hello, I just setted up my axie's new home yesterday. Today I tested the PH Level and it is a little over 7.6, How can I lower this ? Someone told me Milk will help ? ? Would milk not harm an axolotl or ? Any suggestions ?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You don't need to lower a pH of 7.6. You certainly shouldn't put milk in your tank.

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Um... milk? Its best not to put any foreign objects, especially liquids, into any fish tank. Axolotls in particular because they absorb everything in the water through their skin. Axolot's like a PH on the higher side, so there is nothing wrong.

My boyfriends little brother put milk in the family’s fish tank when he was little because he thought the fish were 'thirsty'. They all died. He has never lived it down.

Whoever told you to put milk in the tank... you should go pour milk on them instead and see how they like it!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Axolotls can tolerate a range of pHs. This is one of the least important water parameters to need adjusting.

blackdog

Reaction score
What they said.

7.6 is well within range for an axie, trying to fine tune the ph at this point will probably start an up and down cycle of high to low ph which will be far more stressfull than leaving it in the higher range.

Milk will help though, but not by putting it in your tank.

*Heat up one mug of milk
* add a little chocolate
*Sit back, sip your hot chocolate milk, and relax, knowing your axies are fine at 7.6 ph

Bren

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Only the poster lives in Arizona, and it's summer here in the Northern Hemisphere, so it's probably like 40c there. Hot chocolate is the furthest from her mind!

MrsGimmik

Reaction score
Okay so my axolotl is in no danger then. Good to know ! Thanks everyone !
Haha, hot cocoa is good while the AC is on Full blast..

Only the poster lives in Arizona, and it's summer here in the Northern Hemisphere, so it's probably like 40c there. Hot chocolate is the furthest from her mind!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Lol, I hear that. My partner likes it so cold in the house there's condensation on the windows. The sals love it; I feel the need to put on socks and sip hot tea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1