Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Coughing durring salt baths?!

crossmyheart

Reaction score
Because i found some ancor worms on my axolotls recently, i have been giving them salt baths every 12 hours and fridging them the rest of the time. Now, i think that i am doing everything right and following all the advice for salt baths on here with measurements and timing.. but no where have i found if it is normal for the axolotls to like.. sort of cough under the water once they are put into the salty water.. is there a problem with how i am treating my babies?? the ancor worms have gone from greenish/clear to have tan/black tips, so i figure theyre dying.. but i am positive that i am no expert at this. help?

Attachments

• 280241_224772640894672_100000858140995_587080_1174224_o.jpg
    280241_224772640894672_100000858140995_587080_1174224_o.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 243

hacelepues

Reaction score
Those poor babies!
I'm sorry I can't really answer your question... but I just wanted to extend my sympathy towards you.

Star

Reaction score
I have no clue with the anchor worms, haven't experienced them yet thankfully but the coughing, mine did that and started to vomit. I lowered the salt:water ratio and left my little fella in there for 20 minutes instead. Does the same job but some are more content with less salty water

crossmyheart

Reaction score
ok. ill try less salt. i dont want any of mine to vomit... thats a scary thought :/
but thanks

ZoeT94

Reaction score
Can you explain more thoroughly what they are doing? It could just be their gulping for air.

crossmyheart

Reaction score
i dont really think theyre trying to get air.. they pretty much really look like they are coughing. completely under water... they dont seem to be struggling or uncomfortable while they do this, but it seems alittle unusual. every 5 seconds or so, they will slightly open their mouth as they.. cough.. like.. push out a small amount of water from their mouth. thats all

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1