New Axi owner

rebel

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
R3bel
Hey
I own four Fire Bellied Newts and was thinking about possibly moving onto axi's as well. Could you owners or Axi's possible give me advice on how to look after them, food, care and what kind?
I would also like to know, if any, what other animals they could cohabit with.
Thank you in advance for all your help:happy:

:violent:Rebel:violent:

substrate - Sand, or nothing. Either play sand or crazy sand. If not then a bare bottomed tank is perfectly fine! more importantly, NO GRAVEL!! Only use rocks if they are bigger than your axi's head or bigger!!!!
objects - They need hides, and lots of them! You need to put plants in there, either live, or plastic, but either way, they need to be hardy, and need either little light or none.
tank itself - depends on how many you intend to keep, two would need at least a 2 foot (60cm) tank/aquarium. It doesn't need to be deep but it needs length. They need no heat, prefer temps of 18-21 degrees celcius so keep away from windows and radiators, if you have trouble keeping low temps then you might wish to invest in a cooler.

CARE!

Food - A good staple food is nice juicy earthworms, thoroughly rinsed and cleaned, order some online or start a worm farm, just to avoid pesticide or toxic stuff. You can use treats such as lean meat, blood worm, mussel. Some also put shrimp or guppies in the tank for them to hunt down and eat.

As to tank mates - The only real tank mate is another axi! They will attempt to eat anything which moves, and sometimes even their tankmates, so they need to be the same size roughly to avoid cannibalism.

Hope that helps!
Z

Sorry to hear about your addiction. I myself have n o hope for recovery in sight. I suspect many others here are in the same boat.

The answers you seek are readily available through our forum search function, and on our other sites.

Merely click the "Caudata.org Sites" Link in the toolbar above and you can learn everything you never wanted to know about caudate husbandry without having to wait for replies!

Thank you, very useful, also can i keep two of the same sex together or would i need male and female? How would i be able to tell the difference?
Thanks

You can have a mixed tank or you can have a same sex tank, it is totally up to you. You will have to wait until the axie is around 12 months to be able to tell if it is a girl or a boy tho. Boys have a noticable bump behind his back legs and girl are rounder in shape and no/small bump behind back legs.

Yep. If it has junk, its a boy. Also if you have a mixed tank, you will have eggs! and lots of them so be prepared. Maybe start of with a few of the same sex till you get the hang of it :D

And if you get them young, before you can tell the sex, be prepared that there's a chance you might have to invest in another tank should it turn out they are mixed... Your poor girl could end up one tired lady if she was constantly having hundreds of eggs!

Thanks for all the reply's
I'm guessing from what your saying, they breed very easily?

:violent:Rebel:violent:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back