A number of tank related questions

Jossie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Firstly, these are all things I'm wondering about and are pretty much just to satisfy my curiosity at the moment.

Firstly, how do you move a tank?
I understand the removing all the stuff from the tank et cetera, et cetera, but what I'm asking about is the tank itself.
Do you wrap it in towels in the back of a car? Do you strap it in?
I'm assuming picking it up and moving it is like moving any piece of furniture that's big and heavy.
I have no concerns about fitting a tank into a car, seeing as between three people we managed to get a double mattress into it and shut the boot. That said it was so full there was only just room for the person driving.
We've also fit a fully grown camellia in there.

Also what is practically impossible to kill live plant wise.
I understand that axies prefer darker areas, but I live in a well lit house (Where I plan to put a tank gets morning sun which can be blocked with a curtain), so I plan on using hides and plants to block light.
I learnt yesterday that I managed to kill a Java fern, and haven't been had much luck with a yellow ivy that I've had for a year.
I know plastic plants are indestructible.

Would it possible to have a layer of gravel with a layer of sand over the top, or would it still create a buildup of toxic ick.
I was just thinking it would be good to allow the plants to have something to root into.
Or would it be easier to buy some mesh fabric and create little bundles to tie to the bottom of the bunch?

Also, I know there is a lot of threads on how to clean second hand tanks, but what about second hand filters?

Yes, I am once again an Askalotl.
I might have some more tank questions later.

I would put a blanket over the tank and put a belt around it just in case it moves a bit. I wouldnt put gravel in because some axies do dig and that could be enough to expose some gravel. Maybe you could plant the plants in little pots and have them around the tank.... As far as plants go I can and do(accidently of course) kill everything so Im not going to give advise on them. Cactus arent safe at my house. :eek:

Yeah, wrap it in something, and also stuff it with as much soft stuff as possible to reduce impact. Pillows are good.

Java moss and Java ferns work well in axie tanks. They are one of the few tank species which doesn't need much light, and are practically impossible to kill (well for most people :p). The fern will rot if you burry the roots, they are meant to grow on something, not in something. Tying them to rocks or ornaments works well. The moss can just float around anywhere and be happy, but can be tied onto things too… like a moss ball! or a cute grass carpet.

For plants you can try duckweed(frog porridge as we used to call it when lil kids) it is a small floating plant that reduces light well but it could get sucked into your filter depending on the set up. also try oxygen weed(Elodea densa/Egeria densa. This stuff is a pest in many places and is easy to grow and provides good cover.
Best of luck

Thanks for everyone's help so far.
Has anyone had any experience with the Fluval 305 filter?
I have found a 3ft tank for sale with one included, but I'm a little worried that it is going to be too strong.

(I'm asking this even though I'm not sure I'm even going to bid on this tank simply because I'm only going to be starting with one axolotl and I have no way to quarantine another)

I use Elodea and Cabomba , i dont have anything special and i always move / clean my tanks, they are planted into sand and a little ring they came with and i have had no issues :D

My elodea was bought from a different shop from the Cabomba shop but the shop that had Cabomba had better elodea, shame it was my mum buying it instead of me ha! otherwise we wouldnt have had this problem:p

I dont have much light or even a tank light, I think the house bulbs are 60watt and they dont get any direct light at all and seem to be thriving, either im lucky or those plants are HARDY!

btw, i have noticed my lotls prefers Cabomba , to elodea however im buying a new elodea shortly so i will get back to you on if it likes the new one more! :D

I prefer the look of Cabomba too! It feels softer might be why the axie prefers it!

Cabomba is prohibited for sale in my state (NSW) as it is classified as a hightly noxious weed, so even if I would not buy any. I live within walking distance of a dam and a creek, so we were always taught about bush regeneration and weed programs.
(Read here if anyone interested)

I might try some natives that I saw at my LFS (They have an amazing selection of plants, and seem to know what they're doing and talking about)

I'm having accidental great success with vallisneria spiralis, lilaeopsis (albeit growing quite low), anubias, and java fern. Plus java moss, and the obligatory moss balls.

I never put the light on in the tank, but it is near a window so I guess that keeps it happy enough yet the axies cosy enough.

The vallisneria and lilaeopsis are in the sand, everything else is tied to rocks, bogwood etc.

Oh, and I'm letting some algae grow on a fake tree root :)

Tank size question this time. Do you think a 51 cm x 26 cm x 30 cm tank would have sufficient floor space for an axolotl?
It is 10 gal, but I'm a bit worried that the floor space would not be sufficient.

Yup! PLENTY of space, just be smart with your decorating- have pots which are slightly buried, clear space for walking and place the filter in a corner. As to the three foot, GET IT!!! Even if you only have one, they'd love you for having that free space to begin with :D. (Don't forget,with tank it's Do I avoid the Betta Effect? Can I keep up with the water changes at a gallon a day/20%minimum a week (Whichever ends up being bigger) for a tank with a full-grown axie? can you afford a larger one? Can you afford the space for a larger one? After asking those questions, choosing a tank becomes pretty much common sense.
Btw, are you getting the olive one???

I have the fluval 304 in a 4ft tank, its great! I have it turned down so it isn't that powerful. Ember spends a lot of time on the spraybar, so I guess its not too strong!

If I get one I'll be looking for an olive. I just love their colouration!
The larger one is more up front but as you say it's got lots of space, as well as coming with a good filter.
I probably won't be able to afford it in the end but if I get it'll be a bargain!

[strike]The smaller one is cheap for a tank, but still costs a bit more than I'd like for a tank that size.
But it's fit almost exactly on my bookshelf[/strike]

Scratch that, It's sold.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back