Anyone had experience with Mountain Minnows and axys

ChristineWgtn

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi there,
I was reading in an article on this site that if you want to put fish in with your axys the best choice is Mountain Minnows as they are peaceful etc. Any of you had these in with your axys and have they bothered the axys or nipped at their gills?

I keep them in with my axies but they don't last long. They always start disappearing one by one. The bigger the tank and heavier it is planted the better chance your fish have. Just remember when you go to buy the fish that they will become food.

A few months ago I bought three to put into a maturing tank for some newts. They liked being in there and reproduced at an alarming rate. I removed the three adults and placed them in the axolotl tank about six weeks ago. One has been eaten, but the other two are still reproducing . The axolotl seem fine with them being there.

I have an indoor pond with axies and white cloud mountain minnows. They've been together for several years. If the minnows are being eaten, they are reproducing at a faster rate than they are being swallowed. They are quick little fish, so they can evidently avoid becoming supper.

I put 7 white cloud in the axie tank, by day two there was only 6 :)

The fish are remarkably smart (i suppose when your life is on the line.....) when the light is on (and the axies hide) the fish swim low and forage the lower part of tank. When the light is out the fish shoot straight up the top of the tank and stay out of the way (even when the axies are still hiding!)

They leave the gills alone (avoid the axies altogether actually)

My minnows have not bred. I'm not sure if it's the temp of the tank (chilled to 18 c) or if they have then they have eaten the eggs / offspring. Having said that, i have a "breeder tank that is heated and supposedly ideal for breeding minnows and i havent had any babies there either!

In 8-9 months of having minnows i have only had one baby - yes, one - and that only appeared in some java moss i had seperated into another container - so i suspect my minnows eat the eggs & babies.

Apparently, i'm the worlds worst minnow breeder :) I cant breed the second easiest fish to breed! i'm going to try guppies next which are supposedly even easier, but i'm not holding my breath :)

Anyways, in answer to your questions - yes, minnows are a peaceful little fish, IMHO a good tank mate for axies (if you dont mind them being eaten every now and again) and they are actually a colourful, active fish to watch - i like them.

Bren

Thanks for your anwers, I was thinking maybe I would try some in the tank, still haven't really made my mind up yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back