Question: Golden Leucistic Axolotl?

That's not genetically possible. There's a wide variation within colors.

Sorry that was a bit short, was posting from my iPod; it takes FOREVER!

So here's how it works:
-A golden albino is a/a, D/x. That is, it's albino, and it's color cells migrate off the neural crest properly.
-A leucistic axolotl is A/x, d/d. That is, it's not albino, and its color cells do not migrate.
-If you have an animal that is a/a, d/d, it's albino, and its color cells do not migrate, making it a white albino.

An animal cannot be d/d, and still be golden. The d/d (leucistic) means that the color cells do not migrate off the neural crest, and it means the animal will be white (either albino or leucistic). If the animal is D/D or D/d, it will be dark (wildtype/melanoid) or golden albino.

so its just a leucistic variation... like a lighter coloured wild type or a particularly pink albino. Very pretty!

Cool thanks for that Kaysie and Rach!
He's a cutie! Do you know if its common to have slightly yellow leucistics? Most of the ones I see around are a pretty pink.. :)

i really couldn't say, i've never seen one! i guess its less common than a pink one then. How old is he? could he maybe grow out of it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back