Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: When to start feeding every other day?

hacelepues

Reaction score
I've searched through the forums and haven't really been able to find anything that really answers my question. I may be blind or something, but whatever I figured no harm could come from making a more recent thread.

I wonder because it seems that my axies have lost their appetite. I usually feed them every evening and they swim to the top to greet me and eat until they're full. Now, they just sit at the bottom and don't really even try to eat. I finally managed the transition to salmon pellets about a week ago and they were LOVING them.
They are about 3.5-4 inches long now.

My leucistic will normally eat one or two pellets before just turning his head away all fussy-like. My wild-type, on the other hand, barely even tries to eat. I can usually get him to eat one... but failed this morning. He'll open his mouth just a tiny bit and if the food doesn't go in he just gives up. And he's been staying in really inconvenient areas of the tank, making it harder for me to feed him.
I have been trying to feed them in the morning and the evening again because I'm worried that they're eating too little... so they're having a total of 2-4 pellets each over the span of a day versus the 6-8 they'd eat in one go before.

So my question is if it's just that time to feed every-other day? Is that why they are not as hungry (and also more lethargic since that happens as they grow)?
Or are they still too small for that and therefore there is some other underlying problem?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
At that size, you can feed them every other day.

By limiting food availability, they'll probably eat more readily. They'll be hungrier, so they'll snap at food better.

forester

Reaction score
I was told to start feeding every other day when the lotl was full grown. Basically, when the lotl stops getting longer and starts getting fatter.

What is the temperature of your tank? I've read at very low temperature their metabolism slows and they eat less.

hacelepues

Reaction score
Kaysie, thanks! I will start doing this then!

Kat, it's actually at the higher range of acceptable axie temps... just below 70 F (20 C). It's a HOT summer.

forester

Reaction score
Perhaps it's the heat? Swarley was not hungry and lethargic during a heat wave. However, as long as your in the right temperature range, I wouldn't worry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1