Question: Can axolotls hear?

GlowingFauxPas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I apologize if this is an obvious question but I'm not much of a biologist. Can axolotls hear? I would guess not, since I don't see any ears, but since some grasshoppers have ears on their legs (!) I'm not going to make any assumptions.

Edit: Also, do they have a lateral line?

no they can't hear, but they can sence vibrations very well, including the vibrations of sound. I'm not sure what a lateral line is :(

A lateral line is how a fish senses vibrations in the water, so I assume it's exactly what you're talking about :) thanks

So ur telling me all those hours i was talking to my axolotl he wasn't even paying attention?!?!?! :p

'Fraid not. They put on a good front though!

All that time I used to sing a little rhyme about my axolotl to him and he couldn't even hear my beautiful voice!!(!!!) (;))

All that time I used to sing a little rhyme about my axolotl to him and he couldn't even hear my beautiful voice!!(!!!) (;))

I'm sure they heard the vibrations? Maybe different pitches, etc. I plan on singing to mine. That is, if it doesn't shatter the glass. :p

I reckon they have a lateral line, probably not as advanced as in sharks but relatively so, also they probably have echolocation to know where food is coming from.

Pretty sure they don't have echolocation; they don't have ears or any way to produce sound.

Echolocation in Axolotls. Thats funny. Unless its crossed bred with a dolphin its not going to happen. They do have limited eye sight and a lateral line tha picks up vibrations and movement through the water.

Pshhhh. They understand every word!

Yes, I´m sure mine do! When I look from above on the tank and ask "are you hungry? Do you wanna food?", they immediately come up to the surface begging for food. So they must understand every word! :D

Mine doesn't seem to understand the words 'your grounded, I told you not to have a massive party when I was away!' :rolleyes:

I was corrected a few years ago and shown that axolotls do in fact have hearing even though it´s quite rudimentary. Their inner ear system are very different to ours (not surprisingly) but apparently they are able to detect low frequency sounds. Not much research has been done in caudate hearing, though...
The lateral line is a very complex organ that contains various receptors and provides a lot of information to the animal and is for sure their main way of detecting vibrations. Like sharks, they have electroreceptors too, but they are certainly not as advanced.

Yes I would think axolotls have some sort of inner ear... I have a friend who was telling me about some new research being done on axies and how they communicate with bubbles and clicking sounds. They have recorded the sounds. Pretty neat. They must be ale to "hear" or at least "feel" these sounds and use that information as we would through hearing.

So correct me if im wrong,

but "sound" as we know it is the vibration of air, that moves our eardrum accordingly and our brain interprets that as what we hear, right?

if is true that could you not compare human kind intrepreting sound vibrations or waves to an Axolotl feeling vibrations in the water?

although their brains might not intrupret that as, "Oh hey i know that song", but more like "hummm i bet i could eat that" or "Woah way to big for me to eat, eh ill try anyway"

yeah i know im probably humanizing animals again.... but thats just what i thought when i read this thread!

So correct me if im wrong,

but "sound" as we know it is the vibration of air, that moves our eardrum accordingly and our brain interprets that as what we hear, right?

if is true that could you not compare human kind intrepreting sound vibrations or waves to an Axolotl feeling vibrations in the water?

although their brains might not intrupret that as, "Oh hey i know that song", but more like "hummm i bet i could eat that" or "Woah way to big for me to eat, eh ill try anyway"

yeah i know im probably humanizing animals again.... but thats just what i thought when i read this thread!

Axolots: "Eat ALL the things!!!"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back