Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help me beat the heat!!

fishcakey

Reaction score
I live on the third floor of my house, and I'd really like to keep my axolotl nearby so I can keep an eye on him. When i put ice in the tank (but obviously I can't continuously add ice to the tank because I have to sleep and go to school), it can get down to 60 F, but I'm mostly getting 70 F with the air conditioner on full blast (and the tank is right next to the air conditioner). I keep my overhead fan going and I have a larger fan right next to the tank but it's just REALLY hot this time of year (like 100 F outside). What else can I do?!

I guess I might have to bite the bullet and keep him in the basement, but there are no fans and whatnot down there.

yellowpebble

Reaction score
The lower to the floor the better, on whatever story. But the basement will be the best place. Instead of putting bits of ice in the tank try bottles of ice. They will last longer. Instead of one big one try a few little ones in the tank while you are at school, they will cause less temperature fluctuations than the big ones. Also keep the lid off the tank and point the fans directly at the waters surface. This will cool it down a couple of degrees. Also insulate the tank... wrapping some damp towels around it can keep the hot out and the cool in.

a chiller is the best option, however they are EXPENSIVE! good luck.

fishcakey

Reaction score
well when i mean i put ice in the tank i actually just fill up half gallon bags and freeze them solid, they melt really fast though! also, i'm wondering if changes like that will cause even more stress, but i guess with littler ones it's ok

and i've already looked into chillers, i'm only allowed to keep a 12 gallon tank in my dorm, and the amount of water turnovers in a tank a chiller would do would be a little too much for a little 12 gallon tank

ALSO my tank doesn't have a lid, just a mesh screen

lea

Reaction score
Do you have a canister filter? If you do, you can put the filter in a esky filled with ice. I found that worked really well but it can get a bit expensive buying ice everyday. If your filter is an internal one, that could cause the water to heat up abit as well. If it gets too hot your axies could go on a holiday in the fridge until the weather cools down. I think you guys can get ice probes for your little tanks(we cant tho)

Last edited:

FRANCOIS

Reaction score
well when i mean i put ice in the tank i actually just fill up half gallon bags and freeze them solid, they melt really fast though! also, i'm wondering if changes like that will cause even more stress, but i guess with littler ones it's ok

and i've already looked into chillers, i'm only allowed to keep a 12 gallon tank in my dorm, and the amount of water turnovers in a tank a chiller would do would be a little too much for a little 12 gallon tank

ALSO my tank doesn't have a lid, just a mesh screen

They make chillers for small tanks such as a 12 gallon.... look on Ebay for a used one.

fishcakey

Reaction score
I don't have a canister filter, or any filter at all. I have an airstone to help with oxygen levels and evaporation and do frequent changes.

I'm scared about fridging for some reason, it really scares me!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Don't be scared about fridging. Axolotls are native to glacial-fed lakes. Their natural habitats are (historically) extremely cold.

fishcakey

Reaction score
See, my parents don't understand, they think I'm trying to kill it!

Is it perfectly ok to leave an axolotl in a very insulated cooler for about 4-5 hours (my dad owns a yeti cooler) so the temperature won't change? A bottle of water certainly does not freeze in it, and if fridging is OK I don't see the problem since there isn't much sloshing which could cause stress.

(my parents don't like axolotls in the fridge and i haven't moved back to my dorm yet)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!