Question: Where do axolotls come from?

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Rachel
I know they came from a lake originally. But where do pet shops get their stock from? I have asked every pet shop in town, and they give a really hazy answer or say "i cant tell you that'. I know some of them get imported from Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne (i'm in wagga wagga). I originally wanted to know so I could request certain colours from them that we just DO NOT get here (wild type or white albino) and get them sent to the pet store in a normal fashion, however I just cant get any information out of the pet sores on their location let alone contact details. I have googled and googled pet wholesalers, pet store suppliers, fish farms... I can't get anything. It’s all actual pet shops, or just per supplies wholesale (like dog collars and stuff) These companies just don’t advertise! How do pet stores get in contact? I called a local pet shop up about having them send me certain colours... and the lady said it might not be possible because she could only contact the receptionist, not that actual farmer. Farmer? An axolotl farm? I have tried that too and got nothing.

Where do axolotls come from and why is it so discrete?

Are wild types really rare in your area?? They are the MOST common here.. Strange.. You should get a few wildies in your babies though! :) Looks like I have a few. :)

I thought this was going to be like the "where do babies come from" thread...

I've always assumed private sellers/breeders?

I thought this was going to be like the "where do babies come from" thread...

Same, or 'wat country r axylotyls from?'
But I realized, coming from YellowPebble both would be weird.

I've seen everything other than a leucistic and a wild type in my area. But I may have seen both a number of years ago.

Well, in terms of where fish sellers get theirs from, goodness knows in general, but when I bought Chester and Roscoe I was told they had come from the Czech Republic!

If only they knew how many batches went up for grabs in this country. Our tiny little marshmallows must have one hell of a carbon footprint for their size.

As I am a Sydney-sider and talk my butt off, I can answer this one :D
There are two major suppliers of axies in Melbourne and Brizzie, both of whom export to the other states and only into retail settings.
Then there's my guy Craig, who is pretty close to you (Kiama), runs a MASSIVE aquaponics set-up, who does the same thing in exporting to the other states, local stores BUT!!! He also goes to a market up my way (I keep mentioning it, but it's for a good cause- North Rocks Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children, every sunday (though he only comes up once a month or so, but considering how long the trek is, I don't blame him at all.). From him I've got 3 wildtypes (freddie, George and Phree), a golden albino (Izzie), a leucistic(Peta) and a melanoid (Bertie). As to other colour combinatons, we'll see what comes out of this breeding season!
I'll ask him when I next see him if I'm okay to post contact details for him up on caudata, (I'm pretty sure he'd be okay with it, but it never hurts to check).
Oh, and also you've got enthusiasts like us who end up with a thousand eggies and manage to get them all to adulthood :D (well, 200 for the batch Pip, FrizzieLizzie, Pablo and Molkov came from)

Theres no pet stores that sell newts/salamanders/axolotls in my area i had to get mine from another state :p but i got my lusistic axie :D

I heard that they came from the sewers and turned in to ninjas to help fight crime... oh no wait thats turtles..

I've only ever seen one pet shop in the UK that sells them, and Linda Atkinson is the lady who bred them. It's where I got mine, and she breeds them there..

hahah! i know where babies come from! allthough axolotl *mating is quite unusual.

minnichild thats so cool, thankyou!... When and where is the market?

If you could post his details, that would be awesome! Only if he is right with it of course.

A retailer is not going to tell you where they buy thier wholesale stock from.

They are a middle man between you the end user, and then wholesaler.

Wholesalers are often not set up to deal direct with the public, and don't want you calling them.

The retailers don't want you to talk direct to wholesalers because if you do, you dont need the middle man any more.

You dont go into Harvey Norman and ask who they buy the couches from right? Same thing.

Bren

hahah! i know where babies come from! allthough axolotl *mating is quite unusual.

I'd hope you know where baby axolotls come from seeing as yours have been breeding XD
The market Caitie is talking about is the North Rocks 'Buy and Bring' Market.

Bren is right.
It is also how petshops make their profit.
They're not about to tell you that you can go to a different shop five blocks down the road to get the same item that they sell.

Most stores get them from customers that breed them. They probally live within 20 minutes of the store you see them in. I'm sure they are not importing them from the Czech Republic. That guy was pulling your leg....lol. When you get your own pair you will have hundreds of eggs to raise and trade to pet store too. I'm sure one of our members near you will be able to help you get the color morphs you want.

I was told by my LFS that they get their axies from melbourne. They told me that they werent allow to buy from anyone else.

I just sold a few to a local reptile shop. He told us he either imports his from Norway, or gets them from a breeder in Stoke on Trent. Both seem a little extreme to me.

I just sold a few of my babies to a aquatics shop in knaphill ( he knows alot about them so will be in good hands) he normally gets them shipped from Singapore so was more than happy to find some from the uk.

I sold mine for £10 each which I thought covered what its cost to raise them but weve been adding it up and it doesnt come close to what its cost us to raise them. Im not a professional breeder tho and not something Ill be doing again lol. Ill be giving the eggs away if it happens again.

My local store said they'd buy juviniles off me, but said he would work out a price when they were ready and that it wouldn't be as much as the adults. I guess it would depend on the store! some might not even be willing to buy

Some people believe that all of our axolotls are decendants from the first 5 or so axolotls to be taken from the wild into captive care.

But i reckon alot of people have been taking them from the wild for a while and when they breed pass on the offspring to other people/ sellers who then carry on the chain slowly spreading lotl's world wide generation to generation :)

My LFS will only buy his axolotls from one breeder so if any problems occur its easy to find out what. But most pet stores will get them from where they can if they are in demand.

I know some A.andersoni were imported from germany to the uk, hoping to grab some myself :)

Im picking up another 2 axolotls shortly, i got my originals from sheffield, and these are again from sheffield, (different breeders) Chances are they could be siblings...

DISCLAIMER - This is just my opinion :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back