Sand, sand, sand (please help)

Moz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'd really like to put black sand on the bottom of our new tank as I have my eye on a couple of white axolotls at the local aquarium.

The aquarium has some but the guy said it might raise the pH too high. Is this correct? or if I wash it thoughly will it be OK? Has this got something to do with the CaCO3 content? Has the black sand have some irritant in it? Does my butt look big in this? (is that too many questions in a row?)

Or should I just go down to Bunnings and get some washed sand.

Thanks for any advice.:proud:

Yes. I did an exhaustive study of the subject last year.

The "chopped down to a tolerable length for non-OCD caudate owners" ;) version is available in Caudata Culture. It is actually quite an interesting topic. I learned more about geology and chemistry than I ever knew possible.

Have a go at it and see if that helps to answer your questions.

welcome to the forum moz, just remember whatever sand you get make sure you wash until it your arm falls off and then wash it some more.

Quote: "Natural black sand is comprised of mostly basalt and obsidian, and is safe to use. Natural white sand is mostly silica and is also safe to use."

Thanks for that. Looks like I need to find a silica based or basalt based sand - and wash, wash, wash.

https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4776

beautiful , cheap (relatively), inert, jet black sand

If you do some research you will find reports of tahitian moon sand being unsuitable for axies (even on this site) however this particular brand is the exception to the rule.

it is completely inert, will not affect the water in anyway.

I have my golden albinos on it, makes them look super bright!

bren

Oh, and in answer to the next inevitable question -

I used 2 x 9 kg bags to get approx 25 mm deep coverage of a 90 x 45 cm floor area.

Bren

i admit it does sound cool, if it is going to raise the ph level then get somethibg to lower the ph level, there are lots of kits u can buy for fish that allow you to change the ph level of the water

Don't use calcium-based sands. Altering the pH will be a much bigger headache than you can anticipate.

https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4776

beautiful , cheap (relatively), inert, jet black sand

If you do some research you will find reports of tahitian moon sand being unsuitable for axies (even on this site) however this particular brand is the exception to the rule.

it is completely inert, will not affect the water in anyway.

I have my golden albinos on it, makes them look super bright!

bren

This is the EXACT same brand that I just got for my wildtype axies, only white! :D

You can use crazy sand too!!! It comes in black and lots of colours :D

You can use crazy sand too!!! It comes in black and lots of colours :D

Where do you get crazy sand from? Like at a craft store? I'll have to check that out. :happy:

Aquacraze I don't think they have Crazy Sand in the states but I found (after a lot of searching!) a place that sells aquarium safe colored sand here. Google for "catskill mountain industries sand", that's what I've been using.

You can get it online. Just search "Crazy sand", it's from uk but you can get it shipped out?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back