Spitting food out

Biance

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So I recently set up a worm farm so I could have an endless supply of healthy axolotl food. I was so excited about it, but they've never had live food or earthworm-shaped food before and it seems as though one of them (Myrtle) doesn't like them! Or, she hasn't gotten the hang of it yet. Severus loves them, but Myrtle keeps spitting them out. Both of them are a bit dim and only eat what's right in front of their noses, so it's highly unlikely she'd be able to re-catch it, and it's just so frustrating giving it to her over and over for her to just spit it out again! In about 3 days now I think she's only kept one down at best, although I did find one lurking under a rock so I think she eventually spat that one out too!

Do you think she's just got to have some time to get used to them, or does anyone have experience with an axolotl that just wouldn't ever eat earthworms? :( Or, does anyone have any tips to make her more likely to keep them in her mouth?

Are you rinsing them well in tank/dechlorinated water before you feed them to her? (Cool names btw)

Some worms taste weird (not that I've tried), so a good soak might help - or perhaps changing what you feed the worms themselves?

I have found that the red worms in partcular excrete a substance that kind of looks like a white jelly-ish substance. I actually went and talked to a local worm farmer today while I was picking up some red worms and she said that this secretion tastes bitter to salamanders. I would try perhaps soaking the worms a bit before feeding - maybe for 20 to 30 minutes.

Mine acted the same way for a few days - slurping the worms up and spitting them out again. Eventually they accepted the worms despite the taste. Axies just dont understand how good the worms are for them! :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back