Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: My babies!!!

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
1 hatched last night and 2 more this morning, so cute! Now if my BBS would hurry itself up! 19 eggies to go :)

The first is Earl, and I think he's golden albino, the other 2 are yet to be named and I think they are leucistics or very pale wild types (due to the black eyes)..

Sorry about the bad quality.. so hard to photograph 1cm long things, AND through water lol..

Oh and for the first day or 2, before feeding them, do I still do daily water changes??

Thanks.
:)

Attachments

• DSC01967.jpg
    DSC01967.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC01972.jpg
    DSC01972.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC01976.jpg
    DSC01976.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 213

yellowpebble

Reaction score
cool! i like the name earl :D

i got a dud lot of brine shrimp on ebay from this seller:

eBay My World - compaq$

after days NONE of them hatched and i thught i was doing something wrong.

I got some more from :

FISHWERX UTAH BRINE SHRIMP EGGS - 100G | eBay

they are fantastic and hatch in 24 hours no worries! A bit more expensive but they definatly work.

I only found out they wern't working the day after the babies hatched and i was freaking out because i thought they would starve. It was about 4 days before i fed them with the working brine shrimp... i was so supprised they didn't die. They are quite strong and i think they could last about a week with no food... but of course feed them as soon as you can!

i recomend buying more in case yours are bad too.

good luck!

what if earl turns out to be a girl?

lea

Reaction score
Ive been getting my BBS eggs from City Farmers and they hatch within 24 hrs. I have 2 hatcheries running 12 hrs apart.
What about Earlette:D

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
6 babies now!!! 16 to go. So far I THINK I have got 1 golden albino, 3 leucistics/pale wildies, and 2 wild types. :) SO CUTE!!!

How do I tell if any are melanoids?

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
6 newbies this morning. Total 12 so far. :) But I seem to only have 8 eggs left so 2 have disappeared somehow.. :S

First pic is of i think, my first 2 white albinos? And the second is of my 4 new wildies today! :)

Attachments

• DSC01991.jpg
    DSC01991.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC01995.jpg
    DSC01995.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
I found my 2 hiding/ lost axies. They're both hatched and look albino. CUTE! Thats a total of 14, with 8 wiggling eggies to go! Got 5 albinos, 2 leucistics and 7 wildies :)

Also Miriam mentioned that she has a few axies eating cooked egg. Is this worth a try seeing as I'm not going to get my new BBS eggs till at least tuesday (due to ordering them friday night)? Or is there something else I should try also??

Last edited:

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
FEEDING: Out of my BBS eggs.. perhaps 5% have hatched (after 4 days - DUDS) so at least the bubs are getting a little bit of food.. Tried some axie pellets crushed today, not sure how successful.. It did look like they were eating though because they did those sudden little jump things. I guess we'll find out. Can't wait till my new BBS arrive. :)

EGGS: all but 4 were hatched this morning so I decided to help them along. 3 I helped out succesfully, but one died sadly :'(

HATCHIES COLOURING: 7 albino, 3 leucistic, 11 wild or so it looks, thus far. :)

yellowpebble

Reaction score
awesome! sorry about the death. Most of my albinos turned golden in a few weeks, but some are stronger coloured than others. Them zooming foewads a bit is usally them eating! yay. try agitating the water with the crushed pellets to get the peices to look like they are moving :)

iggiethegecko

Reaction score
Congratulations, they're adorable :) Water changes only really need to be done when you start feeding them the BBS. With mine I water change daily before feeding then do spot cleans wherever possible. Keep the BBS eggs in the fridge in an airtight container, it might be a good idea to keep the hatched BBS in the fridge too as they don't live for long. If you can find tiny newly hatched daphnia these are a good alternative to BBS. Keep posting pics!

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
awesome! sorry about the death. Most of my albinos turned golden in a few weeks, but some are stronger coloured than others. Them zooming foewads a bit is usally them eating! yay. try agitating the water with the crushed pellets to get the peices to look like they are moving :)
Now that I have my BBS I'm not using the pellets so I guess I don't need to agitate the water.. You should SO post pics Rach! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1