New morphs , Alpine newts.

ACEPHONECHIC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have five baby newtlets just morphing and loosing the gills.
I would like to ask you some questions as I am new to alpine newts and the babies are my first ones.
The ones that have morphed do i need to provide land for them as well as water as some seem to say you need a third land and twothirds water. They like to climb up the tank and as one has already managed to escape, I am thinking they need to have a better enviroment. They have lots of weed to sit on and a broken plant pot.
I am thinking of getting some spagnum moss and putting on a raise area so they can climb onto if they want. I can mist it to keep wet. They will also be more visible on the moss as it is a colour contrast, i tried peat and grass but they managed to blend in and was worried of loosing more newts.
At what size can I try very small worms, i put some in recently but they were not eaten. They have water flea and mosquito lava a couple of times a day.
Any advise greatfully received

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I have a little expirience in it and i say, the best thing to do while morphing is not disturbing them and starting to change things... just put something solid in the tank where they could go up easily, and just after they are fully morphed (take an extra week just in case) do the changes as they are now half grownups:) don't be bothered by the fact they won't eat at the begining, it's normal, let them take the time to get used to use their feet and they should be hungry again in about 2 weeks after the metamorphosis has finished.
Good luck!

Depends on the subspecies. I.a. apaunus will readily stay aquatic upon morphing.

Thanks for the answers I believe they are Italian Alpine (T.a.apuanus)
I am keen to learn all I can about these little creatures. They have very pretty spots and orange bellys so far. So from your advice, the weed and a sunken plant pot should be best until they have all morphed, Then later introduce the wooden platform my other half has made which will stand in water so they can swim under and around it. On top I plan to place moss so that it is soft and not too dry. Then in time I guess baby worms can be fed on the platform to them.
How big should they grow in time as they are still very tiny. My five Axies seem to grow very quickly but they were alot bigger to start with.

well, i say it pretty much depends on the enviorment...
the size of the tank, amount of water and temp. and nutrision of course are the main ones i think... the rule is that they will want to leave a place they don't like... it is known that if you have an amphibic tadpole, and you give him a good place to grow as a tadpole, he will stay that way for a long time, and the opposite around, the more he'll stay as a tadpole, the stronger it will be. i kept my fire ones in a bit deep water (like a 10 cm) and cold water (12-15 C), gave them louds of food, and they morphed about 4 months after the where born! but they've been extremly strong...

There is much more to it than just good conditions. Genetics have a lot to say too. However, it´s true that given the right conditions the chances of larvae morphing at bigger sizes are better.
I.a.apuanus can remain aquatic throughout the whole process of morphing although it´s perfectly normal for them to go on land at least during the day. If you offer good water quality, lots of plants and aquatic foods, they will make use of it.

I offered my apuanus morphs small islands that were just barely poking out of the water but were wet enough so the newtlets would not get very dry while hauled out. That way, they remain water-ready. They soon figured out that food continued to be in the water, so that's where they go when they are hungry.

If you want them to remain aquatic, I suggest to continue offering food in the water.

as for size at morphing; I had one very small one (4cm) and many bigger ones (5-6cm). Al did well, even the little one. Many factors are involved, but two that seem to increase size at morphing are temperature (cooler temps = longer larvae period= bigger morphs) and density (more larvae per space = smaller morphs).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back