Skinny axolotl has fungus, advice please

sheena22

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The annorexic axolotl has been doing good , ripping apart a pile of tubiflex worms, whether she got any or not i dont know.

Im not up for putting her in the fridge at all and keep moving her and touching her because its too much stress for the poor thing,

So instead ive added a dose of salt to the tank and a dose of methylene blue which worked to get my other axolotls fungus to go.

The fungus is all in her mouth and it wont shut properly its literally gotten worse over night! Its on her eye and on her tail.

So will a 5-7 day treatment be ok? I will fridge and treat at the last resort but you whom have seen the pictures of her know how skinny she is x

Any advice welcome! Thank you very much

Sheena22

Do tubiflex worms cause fungus?

Im trying to rule out all the causes of my axolotls fungus in mouth eye and tail. I heard they are quite dirty creatures.

Hes really skinny and thats all he can really eat, is it time to fridge my axolotl ?

Re: Do tubiflex worms cause fungus?

Tubifex worms aren't grown in the healthiest of conditions.

There are better options. Small chunks of earthworms, frozen-thawed bloodworms, tiny slivers of liver or beef heart, live/frozen brine shrimp.

Stress is probably the predominant cause of the fungus. I imagine there probably isn't much you can do for this guy at this point. Fridging will slow the fungus, but it's going to inhibit appetite too.

It will slow down starvation too as she cant eat with all this fungus in her mouth? do i saltbath her too?

And the fridging do you put them in normal temp water and let them cool into the fridge or straight into cold water? x

Hey Sheena,

If you are looking to fridge your axolotl here is a link to the procedure: Axolotl Sanctuary

I wish I could offer advice on what to do but I honestly don't know! I think it's worth considering getting this axolotl to the vet and hopefully they'll have antibiotics to quickly clear the fungus up so you can get back on track with trying to feed the little one up.

I think you're in a very tricky situation having taken on quite the responsibility. It's frustrating because from what I read on a previous thread you're basically cleaning up after some neglectful owners mess! But I wish you the best of luck and hope that the axolotl makes it through.

Thank you so much, I am thinking the sooner i fridge the better going to give her a few days, then get her in the fridge with the help of the website you gave me (thank you) and clear the tank completely and let it cycle again as ive had worms and stuff in there and i dont want them to be the cause of the fungus

Thanks so much for all of your help xx

most fungus will not survive regular salt baths. Also the fridge slows down the axolotl’s metabolism, which makes them lose weight a lot slower than normal, so it really is the best place for skinny axolotls if they are not eating, despite the stressful situation.

Thanks yellowpebble but she passed away x went to give her the first salt bath and she was dead x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back