Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Will he be okay?

munchbunch

Reaction score
I just came home after being out for about 3 hours and I looked at my tank and couldn't see one of my axolotls; after searching about and moving my filter I found him wedged between the side of the filter and the tank wall! He's only about 2 inches long and my rough guess would be he's just a couple of months old. I have no idea how long he's been stuck there but he seemed to swim out okay and i'm now worried that if he was stuck for a while he might be stressed. I've also noticed that the middle gill on his right side is a bit bent and all his gills are very 'flat'/pushed back.

Will he be okay and would this have stressed him out? He seems to be a bit more active than he usually is but that might be because he's been stuck.. Thanks for any help!

mewsie

Reaction score
He should be fine :) They do get themselves into scrapes sometimes!

Youngsters have an incredible capacity for healing anyway, but it sounds like your little guy is just a bit weirded out by it.

Keep an eye on him and watch for any injuries or strange behaviour, otherwise, just keep him cool and calm and see if he fancies a bit of food :)

munchbunch

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, he seems to be back to his normal ways. I recently lowered the water level in my tank and by doing so had to push the filter to the bottom - I think they miss sitting underneath it so i'm going to raise it again tomorrow! I just worry about them being a first time axie owner and all :eek:

sheena22

Reaction score
He will be fine, they love getting into any weird gaps they can, maybe being antisocial axolotl:) x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1