Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Housing a Newt

CamGillman

Reaction score
Is it possible for ANY species of newt to live in a 5gal tank? Sorry if this question is obsured, but i'm new to all of this. haha

FRANCOIS

Reaction score
I would not even try less than 10 gallons, beside, what species are you inquiring about? If you can afford 20 gallons long, even better.

CamGillman

Reaction score
i don't know what species, but i actually was thinking about getting a 20long. Is it okay to mix newt species? because i have three species that i really like

CamGillman

Reaction score
Yellow spotted, red spotted, and blue spotted.
or whatever salamander/newt i catch in the wild!

and can they live in the 5gal as juveniles, until i upgrade?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
5 gallon tanks are hard to come by. Do you already have one? There's little point in purchasing one tank that's already going to be expensive, just to buy another tank.

And I wholeheartedly agree with Francois. You should never mix species, and you should especially never mix any species with 'red spotted newts', Notopthalmus viridescens. They're extremely toxic.

If you are taking your own species from the wild, be sure you are doing it in an ecologically responsible manner. This means harvesting only juveniles or eggs from large, healthy populations, and only from non-protected species. And only harvesting when and where it is legal to do so. This includes having all of the appropriate permits to harvest salamanders from the wild.

Last edited:

CamGillman

Reaction score
I already have the 5gal.
I will get a new tank eventually
And i have researched the native newts/salamanders in Florida, so i think i know what i'm looking for. And thanks for that extra bit of info about taking them! I never saw that on the internet. Good thing other people know what they are talking about:)

CamGillman

Reaction score
nevermind about this question, i'm going to use the 5gal for my two freshwater pipefish. Thanks anyways!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!