Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Smooth Newt care sheet??

Red Eft14

Reaction score
Okay,so I might get a smooth newt or two from a breeder here, on Caudata.org.And there seems to be noooo care sheet out there.Not even on caudata culture.So if any one has kept this species or has had expirence with them please give me some info and the reaosn I posted here is because I think its a european newt.

Red Eft14

Reaction score
Re: Smoothj Newt care sheet??

thanks,but that dont help me much.It's just pictures.I want to know how to care for them and how to house them properly and I dont think there is much info out there yet since these newts are new to captivity

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Smoothj Newt care sheet??

Not really. They have been kept in captivity for a very long time, it´s just that it´s not a very popular species (which is quite surprising). There is some info around the forum, just use the search function.

Red Eft14

Reaction score
Yeaa I want to know how to keep care of one before I get one.thanks though I'lll try to find some info in here

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a very general caresheet here (general for all Triturus kin)
Triturus

And I would say that care is generally similar to L. boscai:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Triturus/T_boscai.shtml
But L. vulgaris is more likely to require land-based habitat during the summer (the sheet says L. boscai can be kept aquatic all year). There are variations among different populations of L. vulgaris, so I would recommend asking the breeder what kind of housing best suits the juveniles and adults of the particular bloodline.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!