Making gills longer?

DeCypher

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Austin
Is it possible to make your Axolotl's gills longer? One of mine seems to have rather short gills.

Only if you want to risk decreasing the amount of oxygen in the tank.

some axolotls have short gills, others have long ones. There is no reason to increase their size.

They will grow in time, if not thats your axies charateristic :) x

Axolotls gills size alters depending on 4 things,

Oxygen levels in the tank = more oxygen = shorter gills,
Water quality - Its gills will shrink and look wierd, and it will use its lungs more to gain oxygen - can eventually lead to metamorphing which could kill the axolotl.
Genetics - some have shorter gills
And finally if the axie is with tank mates = can nibble gills making them shorter.

I know i have put 4 things, but i swear im missing something ( writing this half asleep)

If it's only one of your axolotls with shorter gills, and they haven't changed in shape, it is likely as suggested above to just be genetics. If you're concerned, just pop a picture up. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back