John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
Another FYI, there's an article on fire salamanders in next month's reptiles magazine - if you have a subscription then you will likely receive it this coming week.

How do you know what is going to be next month?

I just got my copy.

Do you by any strange chance have the June addition?

No, I don't I'm afraid. The issue with the fire salamanders is the October issue, but it comes out in stores in August I believe.

I received my copy yesterday. I have not had a chance to read it yet but I love the cover photograph.
Chip

a general question: is a subscription worth it? I'm thinking about getting one..what's the magazine like in general? I assume caudates don't appear very often..is there lots on frogs though?

Oh, sorry, I started another thread on this, I forgot you posted it already.

a general question: is a subscription worth it? I'm thinking about getting one..what's the magazine like in general? I assume caudates don't appear very often..is there lots on frogs though?

It is a decent magazine. A lot of it is snakes and lizards but some advanced hobbyists have had some good salamander and frog articles published. The magazine lacks in proofreading sometimes. A couple weeks ago one of my customers showed me an "axolotl" picture and asked where he could get that type. Of course it was a picture of a tiger salamander labeled as an axolotl.

For the record, the article was written by our own John Clare.

Good job, John. Excellent information. I found it simple but informative; exactly the kind of article anyone interested in or new to keeping Fire Salamanders would find useful.

Ya know, it's okay to toot your own horn now and again. ;)

I have found it's available now wherever Reptiles magazine is sold.

Yeaa it's a good magizine it talks mostly about snakes and other reptiles which I like but there are articles in there about amphibians.I read the fire salamnder magizine it was a good article.

Thank you guys. Subscription wise, I think it's only worth it if you are interested in reptiles as well as amphibians. If you just like salamanders you may have to wait a few months between articles, but there really is nothing better in the English language. Actually there's nothing else in the English language....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back