Removing stones

kimbully

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Could removing stones stress out an axie? My Axie is a pet shop Axie who has probably lived on stones his whole life.The stones I had were about 2cms in size and I removed them last Monday so the tank bottom is bare.There is a pot with plants and two hiding places as before. As my axie is my office pet, I fed him up on friday (3 worms) and left him happy as usual. This morning he looks a bit scrawny, his gills are dark, not red and he looks unhappy. There is poo in the tank....

Could my stone removal change the water quality?

Did you get him recently? He'll be happier if you put sand on the bottom so he's got something to walk on, but obviously a bare bottomed tank is less stressful than the danger of stones *ominous music*. Get him some more plants/hides and see what happens? Maybe he's just sulking because you did a thing. Most of my creatures do that. Hope he perks up soon!

Could my stone removal change the water quality?

Could stir up dirt, also lots of the bacteria would have been living there- can you test the water/take a sample to a pet shop for them to test? As long as you don't poke around with the filter, which is the main place for the buggies to live, should be fine I'd have thought.

I have had him for about 3 months and in that time he had become happy and friendly and doesn't use the hides anymore. He is still eating. I think you could be right aeviette. I didn't clean the filter until friday, but that may have been too soon......

How did you clean the filter, did you rinse the sponge in tank water or was evil tap water involved? Hehe. Probably best to do lots of water changes for a while if the cycle's crashed, see if you can get some bacteria solution stuff too. More plants would also help get the cycle restarted if that's the problem.

Same plants and pot (with some evil stones) and same hides so hopefully they will help bring water back to good! I did have to use evil tap water but I re rinsed it back in the removed tank water....
Ok lots of little water changes planned, thank you!

Those will definitely help :) but little one can't get at the stones, right? The problem with letting tap water anywhere near your filter is it kills off your bacteria, all you really need to do is reduce the amount of gunk by swishing it in some tank water. Don't do anything to your filter around the time you're changing water/substrate etc. Hope it all goes well! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back