Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Housing growing baby axolotls

jellybubby88

Reaction score
Hey again!
have a few more questions >< sorry!

Just wondering how many baby axolotls I can keep together in a 10cm by 25cm container? I currently have 14 containers and looking at buying some more for them.

Also trying to work out how long they can stay in these small containers before I have to move them on to a bigger container/tank. And how many can fit comfortably in a 3ft tank?

Just not sure where i can put them after they get bigger ><? and should go out and buy a few more 3ft tanks or even just buy bigger containers.?something that can hold them quite nicely until i can find nice homes for them or give them to the pet shop?

Thanks,
Brooke xo

Aaran

Reaction score
You can keep a fair few larvae in the same tub aslong as they are well looked after and of equal size, if they get too big they will eat each other as food.

They grow really fast i have found that mine grow faster when they are in a bigger tank. If you wanted to house some until you can rehome them, i would advise some big storage containers that are around 2x2ft floor space. some are even bigger :)

Try not to overpopulate, when they are young you can have a few more but when they start getting there back legs try get them into something alot bigger than a little tub.

key is water volume and floor space.

jellybubby88

Reaction score
Yeah i have the eggs currently in a 2ft tank filled almost to the top. once they start to hatch i was thinking maybe putting 5 - 10 into the containers. when they first hatch.

Also just wondering when im changing the water after i have fed them can i just use my 2ft tank as my water stash? like add in the ph and the conditioner let it sit over night and just change the water each day by topping up the small containers using the 2ft tank if that makes sense?

and i will have to buy a few big containers and do it that way.

Very helpful thanks alot.!!

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
Hi there, perhaps I can be of some help.
I am currently raising almost 2 week old babies now. I have 6-8 in small take-away containers of about 10 by 15cm dimensions. The babies are coming up to 2cm each in length so I'm starting to look around for bigger containers. Though I will probably leave them in these size tubs until they are maybe 4cm long and have a good amount of legs ( I have plenty of tubs so can do 2 in each one if necessary).

As far as water changes go, I use my 4ft tank water (with my adults in it) for my daily baby water changes, and the babies are THRIVING! It shouldn't be a problem as long as your parameters are in check. :)

jellybubby88

Reaction score
Thanks aimz,

Yeah what im planing on doing is once they hatch put them all in containers and use the 2ft tank they are in at the moment as there water storage so i can just top that up every time i clean out there little containers. got everything set up now so just gotta play the waiting game lol can see them all wriggling at the moment .- so cute.
I have about 100 containers now >< so shouldn't be an issue with separating them but can't say there wont be an issue with my parents lol!

Thanks for the help :eek:

SalamanderMommy

Reaction score
I will have a baby axie soon for
my sons' birthday. :) Was wondering would it be okay to raise him in a 20 litre tank until he is big enough to move into the 60 litre?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1