Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Moomin passed away

Crysta

Reaction score
So after half a year of ill health and not eating - Moomin had got to the point where I thought it was best to euthanize, I knew he would never pull out of it. However, last night at some point he passed away. I'm really quite sad about it, but happy that he can't suffer any longer. I still don't know what the problem was. I'm almost glad he's now passed, because I would have been quite hysterically upset if i'd have had to do it myself.

Now I'm just focusing on Nana and the other one who's name my mother keeps changing >.>
I'll probably start posting again soon.

much love to everyone
-Crysta.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Crysta, that's too bad. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm always sad when we lose members of our extended axolotl family.

mewsie

Reaction score
Crysta, that's too bad. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm always sad when we lose members of our extended axolotl family.

Agreed.

Crysta, I'm so sad to hear this :( *hugs* Your Moomin avatar has always been my favourite axolotl picture ever.

fishcakey

Reaction score
how was he ill? i'm just asking to make sure nothing ever happens to my axoltol too without me knowing

i'm so sorry, he was really cute :( at least you have nana to help you through

larn

Reaction score
i'm sorry for your loss Crysta, hope you will be ok through this difficult time

emz

Reaction score
How sad. Must of been hard having him ill for so long. He was a beauty.

Kaytiandpixie

Reaction score
oh Crysta i am so very very sorry for your loss, i always loved looking at your photos and hearing you talk about moomin. he was so cute and you could tell from your pictures of him that he was such a sweet thing. im sure your axies are feeling your loss as well. just know the Pixie,Matti and the rest of my house holds hearts go out to all of you.

Jossie

Reaction score
Crysta, that's too bad. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm always sad when we lose members of our extended axolotl family

Agreed.

Crysta, I'm so sad to hear this *hugs* Your Moomin avatar has always been my favourite axolotl picture ever.

Also agreed.
Poor little guy, and poor you. It's never fun losing a pet even if you knew that it was coming.

I've always loved your photo of Moomin, to the point where I've been searching for an anenome-like-Moomin's.

-adds to the hugs-

Crysta

Reaction score
I love you guys <3

Fishcakey i've never been entirely sure - at first i suspected stomatitis but to this date I'm thinking something along the lines of broken jaw or just something genetically wrong. The best way to prevent any illness is general good husbandry - temps below 18C regular water quality checks and monitoring eating habits. Unfortunately with axolotls as much as we know about them, we know nothing - and you can get a lot of un-explained deaths.

___

Ronnie and Nana are looking a bit sad (entirely my imagination) So I think i'll get them an air pump. I was taken to the sea life center today so i'm feeling less down in the gills :3 I missed this forum so much! I can't stay away now, you lot are truly amazing :)

Nana is all grown up now, Black with pinkish gills and gold flecs all over, Ronnie is "my mom's" Golden albino - i'm glad that nana has the company, I'd feel i'd have to find another axolotl for her/him otherwise (yep still can't tell, i'm abit iffy about the sex) and i doubt i'd feel good about that XD

I'm ok though - i've been half expecting this for a long time, and i'd come to terms with the fact he wasn't going to make it through the night before, seems like he just waited for me to be ready.

Thanks guys x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1