Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Suspected Limb Rot

jackd1987

Reaction score
Hi, I have a pair of Chinese Fire bellied Newts and I believe (after reading some posts on here) one of them has limb rot. I first bought a pair almost 3 weeks ago. One died within 3 days even though the water is fine, well filtered etc. and the other is showing no sign of any illness. The one that died had some sores on it's body in 2/3 places, but thought nothing of it as I had read they heal quickly and regenerate etc. and it was eating well and quite lively. But as I said it soon died. I then went back to the pet shop where they had fresh stock, they replaced the newt, and the new one seemed fine. Now it seems this one is going down the same route. But it seems far more developed as it seems to have lost the use of a back leg, has a large chunk of tail missing wich has some sort of white, powdery looking tinge to the exposed part, and also has sores. I have now seperated it and put it into a cool tank, after giving it a salt bath as advised on here. Just wondered if there were any other suggestions as to what it might be and any solutions. I have no reptile/amphibian vets nearby so any help is much appreciated!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is quite common with freshly imported chinese firebelly newts. A quick search of the forum will reveal many stories just like yours. They're imported in terrible conditions, and often never recover from the trauma.

There isn't much you can do other than to keep them cool and well-fed. A terrestrial hospital type setup (with damp paper towels) may be better than a dirt setup.

You can also try antibiotic ointment on open sores, but be sure it is free of painkillers.

In the future, you should consider purchasing captive-bred specimens over wild-caught specimens. They're often much healthier, and their environmental footprint is much smaller.

jackd1987

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Will carry on and hope for the best. Will keep you posted.

jackd1987

Reaction score
Well, my newt sadly died. I returned it to the pet shop and they were good enough to replace it, this one is looking much better so fingers crossed we won't have a repeat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!