Magnetic Ledges?

frowningowl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie and although I haven't got an axolotl yet, I'm doing lots and lots of research so hopefully once I get one I'll post pics of my little axie!

One thing I wanted to ask was if anyone used a magnetic ledge in their tanks? A friend has one in hers for her turtles and I thought it might be nice to have one further down in the tank as axolotls look like they like to lie on ledges :) Just playing with ideas for what I could put in my tank so any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks! :)

They like to lie on ANYTHING! Unless it can be eaten, which they usually try first to make sure.

Some axolotls like swimming about a lot, others are more ground-dwellers, so be prepared to invest in stuff that might get used tons, or not at all!

There was a thread not long ago about my Albi - who has a stick on ledge and likes to sit there in the bubbles:

Albi's Happy Place

The bigger two like lounging in the tall grass the best.

Not really sure about the idea of magnets in the tank - axolotls absorb very readily through their skin, so metals in tanks are a bit of a no-no. I did see a turtle ledge that had suckers recently though - sounds good to me!

Have a browse through this forum and you will get just tons of inspiration - quite a few folks have even bought those stick-on soap dishes you can get, which are way cool!

ps: big welcome to the forum :)

That floating bogwood looks perfect! Much nicer then the ledges I've seen for turtles! I was concerned about the magnets which was why I thought I should double check. I'm hoping to cycle and prep my tank next week so watch this space for pics!

Thanks again!

Woo responsible budding axolotler! also the promise of axie pictures! you must be my new best friend XD Kudos on checking.

I like to give my guys different levels too, and I find that bits of slate - and 'decorations' with a large surface area work best, and don't interfere with any aquascaping.

Hi I have a piece of wood with a suction cup on and they really like it, I would like to find one that stretches across the tank :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back