Ceramic filter media

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Rachel
I just bought some ceramic bio noodles which are meant to attract good bacteria nicely. I think its a mix of the porous surface and the shape. I am going to put some in my filter, but i was wondering, because bacteria grows on everything in the tank too, would it work also if i but a few in a mesh bag and put it in my tank somewhere? or would they not be as beneficial? or pointless because the bacteria grows on everything anyway?

also there seems to be a bit of a debate regarding bio noodles/bio balls and their effectiveness in a tank. I have heard they release substances in the water? and that sometimes they can cause the ammonia levels to spike because decaying food gets stuck in them and they rot? Or that they work TOO well and they cause nitrites to spike? or that they increase PH? in theory they sound like a good idea but so manny issues... allthough some aquarium enthusiests swear by them.

what are your opinions, has anyone used either noodles or balls?

Last edited:
Mostly the bio-noodles are used in the filter, after the filter pads. You could put them in a mesh bag and hang them in the tank, but it would be just the same as buying some fake plants and putting them in the tank, just much less attractive. The point of them is to increase the surface area in the tank to provide space for bacteria to grow. So any surface area you provide will allow bacteria to grow, be it a fake plant or ceramic noodles. Plants just look nicer than noodles.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back