Question: Wild Newts

smallchief

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
Sarah
Hey guys,
My friends found a pair of wild newts in the woods and brought them home to care for them. they said the newts were kind of brown/green with a tinted orange belly. I keep Chinese fire bellied newts so i imagine their needs would be quite similar. I was curious if any one has any info or tips to help them?

Need pictures then we'll identify!

I´m guessing it´s Lissotriton vulgaris, but yeah, a picture will eliminate all doubts. I don´t know what the irish law is regarding newts but that would be the very first thing to check.

As far as I am aware Lissotriton vulgaris is the only native species present in Ireland, it sounds like a female. They are protected under Ireland's Wildlife Act but I'm not really up on legislation other than UK law and CITES.

Yes, smooth/common newts (Lissotriton/Triturus vulgaris) are the only newt species native to Ireland.

It is illegal to catch or keep them (under the Wildlife Act, 1976, as modified by the Wildlife Act 1976 (Protection of Wild Animals) Regulations, 1980), so it's probably best to release them where they came from.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back