Canister Filters

fishcakey

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm thinking of getting a small 30 dollar canister filter for my little axie tank. Either the Zoo Med Turtle 501 Canister Filter or Tom Aquatics Rapids Mini Canister Filter C-80

Which one do you guys recommend? I'm in a dorm room and my tank is only 10 gallons and I don't want to to 20% water changes each week because if you looked at my class schedule you wouldn't want to either!

Also, I was hoping this filter could double as a chiller if I set the filter inside a cool area the water circulating back could be cooler as long as the filter is not below the aquarium. Would that work?

I'm not sure if the chiller idea will work, but either filter should work just fine for your tank. You will still need to do 20% waterchanges each week, but that's just normal fish keeping. I do 20% waterchanges on my 40 breeder with a plant filter even though I don't have nitrates in my tank. I'm in college right now as well, and waterchanges don't take that long(especially with a ten gallon), you just have to work it in the schedule.

I do not think the chiller idea is worth the trouble. A frozen soda bottle works best for smaller applications. I always keep a few 20oz frozen for emergencies in my small tanks, and a few 2 liters for my big tanks.

As for canister filters, personally, I find them to be overkill for most caudate applications (though I do use a few in my large tanks). For 30 bucks, I'd give it a try though. Just keep tabs on the current created, this can be very stressful to axolotls.

No really have classes every day of the week until 5! On top of studying I don't think I'll have much time. But a canister filter should really help me with the duties, I think.

Then don't get a tank. Weekly water changes are part of tank maintenance. yes it's not always necessary to do a water change once a week like clockwork, but fish tanks can be time consuming every once in a while. A canister filter can only do so much for the tank, a canister filter cannot replenish minerals and take out nitrates like water changes can.
Furthermore, a ten gallon tank, while it can hold an axolotl for life will make maintaining water quality fairly difficult for you, and thus more time consuming. Axolotls are stuck in the tank we're taking care of, so I feel like it's our responsibility to create the best environment we can, so if you already think you cannot keep up with weekly water changes i would recommend you do not get a fish tank just because it wouldn't be fair to the axolotl.

I happen to agree.

In return for the charm and joy axolotls bring to your life it is your responsibility to care for them and do what it takes.

What if your axolotl got sick? Fungus, for example, requires twice daily salt baths, fridging, and daily water changes. What would you do then? Would you find the time?

It takes me half an hour a week to swap 20% out of 2 tanks, and I do daily changes with my little one.

Besides, taking breaks from study is important to let your brain integrate the new information - take care of yourself as well! I find cleaning the axie tanks enjoyable and quite therapeutic, especially when they come and try eating my hands as I'm moving things around!

Perhaps there is a tv show you don't really care for that you could skip, or have one less drink with your mates, (or something) so that you can take on the responsibility of caring for these awesome critters :)

Last edited:
Whoaa I wasn't saying I wasn't going to take care of my axolotl. I already have a tank and an axolotl and I check on him very often and put in new water all the time. I was really just asking your opinion on the canister filters because even though I give him new water and clean out the food once he eats all he wants, the water still looks pretty nasty, and I wouldn't want to ruin my cycle by just putting all new water in. I didn't mean I wasn't going to change my water ever just because I have a filter. I really just wanted to know the deal on this filter and if anyone even has it.

That being said, can someone help me on that subject?

Which one do you guys recommend? I'm in a dorm room and my tank is only 10 gallons and I don't want to to 20% water changes each week because if you looked at my class schedule you wouldn't want to either!
didn't mean to jump to conclusions, its just this sentence made it sound like you weren't planning on doing weekly waterchanges, which is an essential part of taking care of your axolotl. I've heard good things about the zoomed 501, but I've never used one. The only complaint i've heard from it is that it has very low flow, which is good seeing as you only have a ten gallon tank. the toms rapid filter has the same specs, so I assume it would be just as good. Whichever you prefer, just make sure that you don't remove your old filter immediately when you make the filter switch. Beneficial bacteria live on surfaces, so all your good bacteria is probably on your old filter right now, so don't dry it out, or take it out of the tank until it runs for a week with the new filter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back