Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl fingers developing weird?

bob94

Reaction score
Within the last couple of months, my axie (Timmy) has developed all four legs. All of his legs, except for one of them, have 4 fingers. One of his front feet has only 2 fingers. Is this normal? Will he grow another 2 fingers? (Hope I explained everything clearly)
Thanks in advance!

Morrison

Reaction score
Sure he also has 4 on the back legs? Most axies have 5 on the back legs and 4 on the front.
I can't really answer your question, but I hope that they still need to develop.

mewsie

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry, these things happen sometimes.

I have an axolotl who has one of his front legs clamped to his side all the time because it's developed funny. If their limbs get nibbled by another axolotl they sometimes grow back less-than-perfectly. My Chester and Albi both have a leg with only two toes - doesn't affect them at all.

Are you sure they've only got 4 on the back?

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
One of my axies has an extra toe.. Deformalities are quite common in axolotls due to all the inbreeding in their genetics, sisters with brothers, cousins with fathers etc.. They are also from childhood injury (not unlike in humans) as Mewsie said.

It's nothing to worry about, it's just like you having a freckle, or a grey hair or something.. It makes them unique :)

bichogrilo

Reaction score
love the freaky abnormalities one of my axolotls has a toe growing out of her toe.

Morrison

Reaction score

Attachments

• axietoe.jpg
    axietoe.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,716

yellowpebble

Reaction score
its one of the many things axolotl enthusiests are drawn to... their amazing abillity go regrow... or just plain grow extra body parts :D

mine has a toe on a toe too! how fun. The best part is the extra toe-toe also got a dark tip when he matured :D so its functional

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1