New Axie and eggs!

Rachael Lea

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello, I am new to the forum. I bought a new axolotl today and the pet shop had axolotl eggs in the tank with him. He spawned with their female last night. When I bought the beautiful axie they gave me all the eggs as well. Now I have a bucket of axolotl eggs, two adult axolotls in a 3 foot tank and not much idea on how to raise the eggs and potential babies. Help please!!!! :eek:

Forgot to mention that the eggs are safely attached to some plants and I will set up a tank with an airstone for them after reading the breeding page. Some first hand experience and help will be nice. :D

Hi there, congratulations on your newest family additions! Nice to see another Aussie on here! Where you from?

I am currently raising some week old babies at the moment. Unfortunately I wont be much help until the babies are nearly born as the only experience I have with larvae is from 4 days prior to hatching.. Then I'm your girl! That being said, feel free to ask me any questions and I will try my best to answer! :)

Hey I'm in sort of the same situation haha.
I put a post on here last week and everyone was very helpful!

Here are some things that might help you out a bit =)

How to feed your baby axolotls
‪Do-it-Yourself: Brine Shrimp (artemia) Hatchery‬‏ - YouTube

Egg development

Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) - Embryonic developmental stages

Buying brine shrimp eggs
FISHWERX UTAH BRINE SHRIMP EGGS - 100G | eBay

Baby axolotls from what i have been told need to be fed live food 1-2 times a day
and if there is a massive difference in growth between the newly hatched axolotls
then its best to separate them according to size so they don't start nibbling on each other. tho they dont need to be fed for the first 24 hours or so after hatching.
After feeding your baby's as well its best to clean out your tank as the brine shrimp die and pollute the tank quite quickly!

How many eggs do you have? And where bouts in Australia do you live?
You should still have awhile before they hatch so don't stress =)

Hope it helps =)
And cheers to everyone who has helped me with all my questions.

Brooke xo

:eek::p my new 'male' is actually still laying the eggs all over my tank lol!!!! Looks like I got mummy to go with the eggs....... hahahaha Thanks for the advice. I am in central queensland and there would be up to 100 eggs in the bucket and tank. I am not going to try and rescue the eggs from the tank as they are EVERYWHERE and I have nowhere else to put my adults if I take them out. Hopefully I get some babies that survive.

If you can be bothered and if you wanted to that is you can still move the eggs. I have had to move about 50 by hand as they were stuck to the gravel, stuck to the little barrel they all hide in, and they were just everywhere they are pretty easy to remove you can just use a finger nail to cut through jelly that connects it, i just sort of pinched it and it came free >< then you should be right to move them to the bucket with the others.
It is a bit of a pain tho lol.

I'm sure you will get quite a few healthy baby's out of it.

Best of luck =)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back