Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axolotl tank!! Carl the axolotl

The Banana

Reaction score
Nice setup, but mixing fish and axies isn't a good idea. Have a look at the Species Mixing Distastes page.
Not only do they have very different requirements (temperature, etc), the fish will nibble on your axies gills, and your axie may eat them. Either way, it isn't going to end well.
I highly suggest you get another tank to put the fish in.

Other than that, very nice setup. Loved the hand presentation at the beginning.

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
Sarah is right for the most part. The fish you have (and all other sucking fish in particular) are really dangerous for axies because they suck off their skin leaving horrible sores which often kill your axie (see disaster page mentioned above).

However, there are certain fish that many axie owners have tried, myself included, that have proven much safER (still always a small risk though) for axolotls.

Guppies, Minnows, Mollies and Platys are the ones I have heard of and tried myself. If you want to keep fish with axies, dont keep too many (less than 5 for sure) at once (they'll get eaten eventually) or the risk to your axolotl will increase greatly.

As your axie is so small, I'd go with minnows or guppies to be safe. Definitely no plecos though!

Hope that helped! :)

Cclock12

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back guys i have had the pleco in there a month and they sit next to eachother and there tails will touch and neither will be startled. I have just been watching all the fish to make sure they are not aggressive toward Carl. The guppies are just to look at for now and food for later(all 3 females are pregnant i now have a breeder net in the tank for them to birth). I have heard that the fish can think the axies gills are bloodworms but in the month I have had them in there they have not tried biting him at all. They are actually scared of him. haha:) The second I see one of the fish show any signs of aggression toward Carl they are going to the turtle tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!