Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: Missing Moderator!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
My presence on the board will be greatly reduced between now and mid-September, or until I get internet turned on at my new place.

I'm moving to Fairbanks, Alaska! There, I will be working on a project aimed at increasing community agriculture, recycling infrastructure, and general hippie awesomeness.

I will, like Molch, live in a cabin with no running water (my outhouse has a heat-lamp). Unlike Molch, I plan on getting my water from town, not from the river. This is because I lack sled-dogs; partners rarely have the same effect when harnessed to a sled.

In the interim, I have to pack up my whole house, sell/throw away all the moss I've accumulated from being a non-rolling stone this year, and move my critters to Michigan. My BFF has graciously offered to herp-sit for a year (who's the most awesome sister ever? That chick!).

Then I'll have a week-and-some-change-long road trip through the northern US and western Canada. I'll be leaving ~Sept. 4th (this isn't set in stone yet).

So if anyone lives along the route (Michigan/Minnesota/Fargo, ND/Saskatoon, SK/Edmonton, AB/Alaska Hwy/Tok/Fairbanks), let me know and we'll get together for a beer and some salamander-ing.

iChris

Reaction score
I'm so jelly. I would love to visit Alaska, hell I'd love to see snow one day! I've never seen it or felt it IRL. You must be excited!

living in a cabin with no running water and a outhouse, oh my you'll be roughing it wont you? Won't it suck needing to go to the loo late at night in winter with all that snow?

laalflaach

Reaction score
That sounds like an amazing adventure, I just want to wish you loads of luck and hugs!!. But whos going to keep saying "Temperature, Substrate, Parameter Readings" ??, you do it so much better than anyone else. :)

mewsie

Reaction score
The 'like' is for how cool this all sounds, not for the fact you're gonna be away.

Hope it all goes smoothly Kaysie, see you around when you get settled!

xx

lea

Reaction score
That sounds sooo exciting......I too would love to see snow but I must say no running water and having to use the good old aussie outhouse would drive me insane....
Have a great time and I think you should do a running blog on your adventure so we can all experience it with you. Have a safe trip and talk to you soon

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The snow shall pose no problem for I *cue dramatic music* am a native Michigander!

Snow and I go way back. Plus they have this nifty invention called a snow shovel; they make fantastic paths in the snow. lol. And if ever it gets too cold to use the outhouse, there's always the honeybucket. I'll let you google that one.

I do plan on updating my blog here, since my parents are not on Facebook, and I think can keep them semi-regularly up to date here. So you all may be along for the ride!

Neil C

Reaction score
Have a fantastic time and be sure to get back on here as soon as you can. Your wealth of info will be sorely missed in the meantime.

Regards Neil

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!